Author Topic: how does this compare to scangauge?  (Read 9948 times)

Offline FMC_RANGER

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
how does this compare to scangauge?
« on: August 14, 2010, 07:40:08 PM »
hello, i saw this advertised earlier today, and i had thought about buying a scangauge II, i would like to know how this compares to it? i know on the SGII it will display 4 gauges at once, this one displays 6 at once, that is a plus there, i know SGII you can review your information including MPG, fuel used, fuel remaining, speed for that tank, or that day, previous day, or current information, will the ultra gauge do the same?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: how does this compare to scangauge?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 08:06:18 PM »
I'm really not that familiar with SG.
UltraGauge actually displays 7 gauges at once, as the open and closed loop indicator is also shown
UltraGauge has pages of gauges which allows you to quickly switch to a second or third page of 6 different gauges, all of which are completely selectable.  So in practice, UltraGauge quickly displays 19 gauges.
I would recommend you also try the UltraGauge demonstrator found here:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/product_demo.htm
Press the Auto Play to see some of the highlights

I suppose the comparison comes down to a few key elements that makes UltraGauge the clear choice:
  • Simultaneously display 7 gauges
  • Pages of gauges
  • Auto Page Advance
  • Supports up to 75 gauges
  • Alarms for every gauge - both audible and visual
  • Automatically adjusts display brightness to ambient conditions
  • Integrated temperature sensor
  • Large easy to read display, yet compact size (only 0.4" thick) for easy mounting
  • Very inexpensive
  • Free Windshield Mount
  • Scans for new trouble codes and pending codes as you drive.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:15:21 PM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 04:26:14 PM »
By the way, the demo does not work with Firefox and there were no errors.
I see "Loaded 000" and that is all.

If you are disappointed in Ultra-Gauge because the display updates are slow,
please do not think ScanGauge will be any faster.  The speed is really throttled
by the OBD-II interface of the vehicle in question and not by the scanner/gauge.

- Vikas

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »
I'm using Firefox 3.6.8 and the Flash demo works.   Perhaps its your version of Adobe Flash that is out of date?

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 09:48:22 AM »
I updated the flash and now it does work on my Firefox browser.

Between you and me, when I read your "I am not really familiar with SG" comment,
I spewed out my coffee on the screen :-)

Come on, every reference to ScanGauge on the internet is mysteriously followed by
a newbie touting Ultra-Gauge who just happens to "come across" Ultra-Gauge and
goes through the trouble of registering to post that single comment.

Don't get me wrong, I am probably your best unpaid promoter ( :-) but I only did
that to the forums where I already had established my credentials.

You have a great product at a killer price point and I hope and think you will
sell them by boatload.  Let your satisfied users do the word of mouth "spamming".

- Vikas

Offline FMC_RANGER

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »
i recieved mine yesterday, i was a little skeptical because of the price, it takes a little time to get it dialed in to where i wanted it, but it seems like a killer little product, and a great price

Offline Lew

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
I was really surprised at how fast I got my gauge!  I was out of town and ordered it and when i got home Thursday , it was there.   Got it installed with no problem and played with it awhile.  The mount did not work due to the straight shaft.  Even with the ball it would not tilt up far enough.  I used some tape doubled over to make double side tape and now it is in place on the left corner of the windshield with the cable down side tucked into the door seal  rubber. 

I was hoping to have the Auto Trans Temp shown but no such luck.  My GMC Canyon had around 51 gauges.  I highlighted the ones I wanted and then used a note pad to make my layout.  Then it was just a matter of sitting in the car and setting it up based on my diagram.

I enjoy watching the instantaneous MPG and then varying my pressure on the gas pedal to see it change.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:01:52 PM »
  The mount did not work due to the straight shaft. 
Lew,   I don't quite follow the comment about the "straight shaft".   The neck of the windshield mount is flexible. It can be bent in any direction.  In fact, it's possible to bend it 180 degrees and point in the opposite direction.   When molding the neck, make sure you grasp the neck and not UltraGauge.  The neck, while designed to be molded, is still fairly rigid and that would put too much strain on the UltraGauge mounting bracket.