Author Topic: Compatibility with Ford 6.0 L Diesel  (Read 12275 times)

Offline Strokin6.0L

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Compatibility with Ford 6.0 L Diesel
« on: August 18, 2010, 09:31:44 AM »
I am very interested in this product because of the more refined look compared to other products out on the market. But, will the UltraGauge read the Engine Oil Temperature, Engine Coolant temperature, and Transmission Oil Temperature on a Ford 6.0L diesel (F250) with an automatic transmission? These are really the only three values that I am interested and I know the ScanGauge II will read these from the OBD II port on a 2006 F250.
Thanks!
Jay

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Compatibility with Ford 6.0 L Diesel
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 12:21:43 PM »

Jay,

UltraGuage supports 75 guages as listed here: http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/TEN/gauges.htm

However, ultimately the gauges supported are vehicle dependent.   Our experience is that every year, make, model, and engine size is likely to be different.  For example, a 2004 Ford Mustang with a V6 might support different gauges than a 2004 Ford Mustang with a V8.  There is no exacting way to know the gauges supported.  When UltraGauge is first attached, it goes through a lengthy process of determining all the gauges available.  When completed it displays the number of gauges found.
To help ease the concern regarding supported gauges, we have created the Gauge Availability Estimator.  This estimator is simple a database of vehicles that have been physically scanned.  Unfortunately the database is far from comprehensive and compared to the huge number of vehicle years, makes, models, engine sizes, the database contains very few entries.  The database will grow over time.  It can be found here: http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/gaugelookup.php

Regard the gauges you specifically mention,
The Engine Coolant temperature is very common and it has a 99% chance of being available.
The Engine Oil temperature is very rare and it is unlikely that you vehicle will support it.  However, if your vehicle supports it, then Ultragauge will display it.
The Transmission Oil temperature is not a supported gauge.

Offline budpytko

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:37:40 PM »
I just received my U/G and installed it. I believe that you (manufacturer) will get continued requests to have EOT and ECT displayed on your gauge for Ford 6 liter diesel of 2003 thru 2007 model years!  These are two VERY critical temps for us to keep an eye on to stop failing EGR and Engine oil coolers!  I think our problem is that Ford does not make the EOT available through the ODBII port.  I tried getting it using my INNOVA 3130 scan tool with live data and EOT was not available through the OBDII port.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 08:05:41 PM »
I just received my U/G and installed it. I believe that you (manufacturer) will get continued requests to have EOT and ECT displayed on your gauge for Ford 6 liter diesel of 2003 thru 2007 model years!  These are two VERY critical temps for us to keep an eye on to stop failing EGR and Engine oil coolers!  I think our problem is that Ford does not make the EOT available through the ODBII port.  I tried getting it using my INNOVA 3130 scan tool with live data and EOT was not available through the OBDII port.
ECT is commonly supported by vehicle manufacturers.  Are you saying it was not an available gauge after UltraGauge discovered gauges?   This seems very unlikely
EOT is another matter, very few vehicles support this, but if they do, UltraGauge will display it.

Often vehicle manufacturers hide various gauges that only their factory scan tools can access.   In principle, it is possible for UltraGauge to read the secret gauges, but in practice there are just too many years, makes, models, to keep track of all the hidden gauges.   This is probably why the high end universal scan tools come with personality packs.

Offline amgpro2

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 03:07:43 PM »
I agree with the OP that if ultra-gauge were to add support for the hidden EOT gauge that is available via the obdII port on F250's, a lot of ford 6.0 owners would buy the ultra-gauge over other more expensive gauges. I my opinion the UG looks way better than the other competitor that UG is always compared to ;D . I belong to a huge ford enthusiast forum and was led to this site and was one of at least 4 who took advantage of the sale price. I for one as well as others, agree that we would pay extra to have that made available.

Word of mouth can be a powerful marketing tool. I can assure you that if UG made the extra effort to support that gauge, you would have a grass root marking campaign at many a ford enthusiast site dedicated to the 6.0. :o Knowing when ECT vs EOT starts to exceed recommended levels can save 6.0 owners thousands of dollars in repairs if it is caught soon. ;) Please, I urge you to consider adding Ford EOT support. Thanks.

Offline topdwg

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 08:53:36 AM »
So just to confirm with the other guys who have bought this for their 6.0 the UG does not support EOT?  I had my card out and was ready to order, but until I receive some sort of confirmation that it does I'm going to hold off.  I know the Edge Insight and the Scangauge 2 does, just wondering why doesn't the UG?

Thanks...