Author Topic: Custom codes/commands?  (Read 48113 times)

Offline morgan

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Custom codes/commands?
« on: August 27, 2010, 10:25:40 AM »
Just wondering if there is any intention of supporting custom commands in Ultra-gauge?  I have a couple Ultra-gauges and they work great, but it would be nice to pull trans temps and other proprietary codes on vehicles that support them. 

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Custom codes/commands?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 12:17:57 PM »
Just wondering if there is any intention of supporting custom commands in Ultra-gauge?  I have a couple Ultra-gauges and they work great, but it would be nice to pull trans temps and other proprietary codes on vehicles that support them. 
Please see the UltraGauge MX or the UltraGauge Blue.  Both support custom gauges
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:20:57 AM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline Yummy Banana

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 11:38:33 PM »
if this is disabled can it be enabled?

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 07:12:48 AM »
One way of building customer loyalty is to let them feel as if they are part of a community.  Many of the support issues would eventually be ironed out and a forum like this could essentially handle many of the advanced issues.  Essentially, all you will have to do is to watch existing *enthusiastic* customers answer and help newbies and get involved if a question stays unanswered for a while.

There are many many examples of successful businesses based on that model.

On that note I will request following added features:-

1) Freeze frame support
2) I/M status
3) Custom gauges

- Vikas

Offline Manlaan

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 06:39:36 AM »
Originally when I saw this talked about on forums I frequent (TacomaWorld), I was pretty excited at an affordable and better looking replacement for my scangauge, that actually did a few features (alarms, better trip measurements, pending trouble codes, and of course more displayed numbers) that the SG doesn't do.  

But it seems just as fast I had become excited, it dawned on me that two items I keep up on the scangauge as customized options are not included, the transmission temp and the horsepower.  

So, I browse through the manual in hopes of some type of customized options and dont find anything, so I check out the forums and quickly learn that it was decided it might be too much of a support problem, and users are too stupid to be able to enter in a few sets of hex numbers.  I really thought I was smart enough to handle that, but I guess not.    :'(   Maybe one day I, and others, wont be such a burden that we cant be trusted with entering our own data.  

How disappointing.  

Wanna know a little secret?  Put up an advanced menu option and on the first screen make the user accept that support cannot be offered for this section and to use at your own risk.  You then please both worlds, the end users and the people that that have the ability to use and want a little more than default.  You said it yourself that it is already in place, just disabled, so its not like there's really any extra major programming involved.

I believe by doing it the way you did, you basically cut out about 3/4 of your hybrid power users since they have all sorts of extra settings that can be read.  

btw, you dont think there is interest?  Look at the views of this topic compared to all the others.  125 as of this posting and its only been on the forums for a few days in a relatively empty forum.  There is interest, its just that people dont speak up when they want something, they just go somewhere else where its already been done.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 06:48:25 AM by Manlaan »

Offline 70AARCUDA

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 06:59:17 PM »
...adding my 2: the customer can't ask the question if they aren't aware the answer even exists.

...chicken & egg analogy, I know, but true (in my case).

Offline morgan

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 06:28:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply and its promising that the current product is at least capable.  I must say that 99% of the time I won't ask a product for enhancements either, I'll simply keep shopping for one that meets my needs.  In fact, this is probably the first time I've requested a feature with anything.  To me this is the biggest missing feature, and I'd bet most of your potential market would agree.  Your target audience is individuals with the desire to monitor the functions of their vehicles.  That group is going to want as much information as possible.   

Don't get me wrong, I like the Ultra-gauge for some of my cars, but in the vehicle I tow with, it won't replace your competitors product without the ability to have custom commands.

Offline capnfred

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
Looks like we the end users are out here alone... I agree with most of the posts, the person that buys this is interested in a bit more than just resetting his cel , hopefully UG will be listening to us, and let us in on the secret code, or based on close to 50 years of working with, hacking myself, and what in the Ham world used to be called "home brew" I think that it won't be long before someone hacks the code and figures out how to enable the options....I don't know if they are still there but the early Garmin navigation systems, "way before the talking ones." had a bunch of commands that were not published... but it did not take the users more than a few months after the systems began to be mass marketed that the information was widespread on the net.   So my educated guess is that it wont be that long before this system is "hacked".    Everything else is.... so why not this..... so why not let the users that want to access this information have it.... of course at their own risk.

just my 2 cents

Capn

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 03:16:22 PM »
We are very open to feedback and suggestions.   Upgrades to UltraGauge are always on-going.   When a major update is released, we will announce it.

Offline mccljp

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »
And you will be announcing this update (tran temp & HP) when?

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 04:38:38 PM »
At this point the best guess is Q1 of 2011

Will the current batch of Ultra-Gauge units be upgradeable?  If so, will it be fer free or with an upgrade fee?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 06:40:40 PM »
At this point the best guess is Q1 of 2011

Will the current batch of Ultra-Gauge units be upgradeable?  If so, will it be fer free or with an upgrade fee?
Currently, there is no cost to upgrade other than the shipping.

Offline tcope12

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 12:14:07 PM »
Wanna know a little secret?  Put up an advanced menu option and on the first screen make the user accept that support cannot be offered for this section and to use at your own risk.  You then please both worlds, the end users and the people that that have the ability to use and want a little more than default.  You said it yourself that it is already in place, just disabled, so its not like there's really any extra major programming involved.
Another little secret is that disclaimers seldom hold up in court. That is, at best they offer the manufacture a defense, not a walk.

Also you have the issue of users then being able to more easily reverse engineer the system. How many other companies can you name that offer the option to "hack" their device? Can you name even one? Why does Apple not simple Jailbreak their phones before selling them? They would certainly greatly increase sales. There are _many_ legal issues involved, which is why it's not done.

So please don't blame UG for what they allow or don't allow. It's the nature of all companies.

Offline morgan

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 10:24:30 PM »
 ??

First, programming custom codes I consider no more hacking than putting custom codes in a remote control to work with a new TV.  I'm not looking to run Linux on it or turn it into laser wielding robot.  Speaking of which, roomba actively supports the "hacking" community if you are into that kind of thing.
Second, the competition has this exact feature.  Are we allowed to say scangauge here?
Third, apple locks their phone to protect their app market profits.  There just so happens to be an alternative which doesn't lock out apps, and it turns out its also the #1 smartphone OS.  Coincidence?

OK, that comes across a little smart-ass, sorry.  I also apologize for any apple fanboys out there (if it makes you feel better I'm stuck with a blackberry).   I'm just a fan of this product and would like to see it even better.  I'm saying there is not only a precedence for this, but a precedence for a greater target audience for products that allow customization.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 02:47:36 AM »
Is there any way to "force" a gauge to be used?

These are the 33 gauges Ultra-gauge has found using protocol 9141 on my 1998 Toyota T-100 SR5 2WD automatic vehicle:

* Open/Closed Loop Emissions Status
* Percent Engine Load
* Engine coolant temperature
* Short Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
* Long Term Fuel Trim Bank 1
* RPM
* MPH
* Ignition Timing Advance
* Intake Air Temperature
* Mass Air Flow Sensor output in grams/sec
* Absolute Throttle Position Percentage
* Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 1 Voltage
* Bank 1 Oxygen Sensor 2 Voltage
* Mass Air Flow 2, Calibrated/Calculated
* Instantaneous Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
* Average Miles Per Gallon (MPG)
* Average Miles Per Hour (MPH)
* Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - general
* Run Time - general
* Distance - general
* Fuel Used - general
* Instantaneous Gallons Per Hour (GPH)
* Fuel Tank Gallons Remaining
* Distance to Empty(DTE)
* Time to Empty (TTE)
* Volumetric Efficiency (MAP vehicles only)
* Average MPH - trip
* Average MPG - trip
* Fuel Used Gallons- trip
* Average Gallon Per Hour (GPH) - trip
* Run Time -trip
* Distance - trip
* Oil Distance
* Service Distance
* UltraGauge Temperature

One of the gauges that I would like to view is Battery Voltage which is one of the gauges Ultra-Gauge has but didn't show up fer my setup.  I know with my ScanGauge that Battery Voltage works on my vehicle.  What will it take to git that on there?  Thanks in advance!  :D

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 10:07:55 AM »
UltraGauge attempted to access the battery gauge during the discovery process, but your vehicle did not respond, so battery voltage is not available. 

UPDATE:  With the introduction of the UltraGauge EM version 1.2 on 6/27/12, Battery Voltage is now a standard gauge which is available even if the vehicle does not support it
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:16:35 AM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 08:35:46 AM »
Well, battery voltage is available to UG but not as an OBD parameter but as a real analog input.  It will have to either have the A-D converter or its built-in step down power supply has to have the capability to measure the incoming voltage and display it.

I suspect UG does NOT have the necessary hardware built in to do that.  I would be pleasantly surprised if I am wrong.

- Vikas

Offline smartcar111

• Newbie Gearhead
  • I love Smart cars and I love my UltraGauge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 12:15:14 PM »
Just a question, but when there is a major update available and we pay for shipping back to you for the upgrade, is there any idea of how long it will take and what the turnaround time is going to be?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »
Just a question, but when there is a major update available and we pay for shipping back to you for the upgrade, is there any idea of how long it will take and what the turnaround time is going to be?
Shippments are made via USPS priority mail which is 1-3 days in the US.   Actual upgrade processing time, is 1-2 days.

Offline smartcar111

• Newbie Gearhead
  • I love Smart cars and I love my UltraGauge!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 03:50:01 PM »
That's pretty quick and thank you for the reply. One last question for now...how will be be informed there is an upgrade? Will it only be on this forum or will there be am email list or a snail mail letter being sent out to all of those that ordered an UltraGauge?