Author Topic: I HATE Ultra-Gauge  (Read 10256 times)

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
I HATE Ultra-Gauge
« on: August 31, 2010, 09:06:07 AM »
This device has made me drive like a granny.  Every time I touch the gas pedal, I see my instantaneous mpg dropping in to single digit.  It has taken all the fun of experiencing nice crisp acceleration from my Maxima.

OK, OK, I am kidding!  I love it!!  But you have to agree that having this device makes you conscious of your driving style.  It is a like wife glaring at you all the time :-)

Fortunately or unfortunately, even when I drive like a granny, the mpg only goes up my a fraction e.g. from 29.7 mpg without UG to 30.7 mpg with UG.  At least for this particular car, difference between driving like granny or like a responsible adult with a family seems to be miniscule and that came as a shock to me.

My UG is installed near the visor.  Sometimes, I block UG and just punch it :-)

All kidding aside, this device is lot of fun.  For example, you can monitor your coolant temperature and realize how the analog temperature gauge on your instrument cluster is just an idiot light in disguise.  For example, the coolant can go from 160 to 210 degrees but the needle will not move.

Any comments?

- Vikas

Offline danieldc

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: I HATE Ultra-Gauge
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 07:30:49 AM »
The instant MPG feedback is as addictive. I've set my screen to show it with mph and rpm. Now I'm looking for that sweet spot of best mpg for that car. Looks like it is still a bit over the speed limit, but slower than I had been going.

Offline 70AARCUDA

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 06:34:46 PM »
...you will soon discover that the slower you drive in high gear, the higher your average gas-milage numbers will become.

...also, that driving BEHIND a semi-truck (ala' NASCAR "drafting") is much better for gas-milage than driving along SIDE (beware their "bow-wave" effect).

Offline Turbo301

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:22:01 PM »
Indeed, just installed it this morning and really enjoyed seeing my instantaneous economy go from 3.4 mpg when I was accelerating hard to over 100 mpg when decelerating! Lots of fun.

This thing is so small that it mounts right under my tach on my dash, and is just as easy to read as any other gauge.

Don't forget the fun of watching your catalytic converter temperatures rise and fall!

Offline kenny@sccoast.net

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
    • Kenny Carter Music
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »
This device has made me drive like a granny.  Every time I touch the gas pedal, I see my instantaneous mpg dropping in to single digit.  It has taken all the fun of experiencing nice crisp acceleration from my Maxima.

That's funny...I know what you mean!  When my Instant MPG gauge is staring me in the face, I keep thinking about your post and chuckle.  ;D

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 09:33:20 AM »
Yesterday I had the display on the 3rd page which has coolant temperature, mass air flow, timing advance along with RPM and speed.  I was enjoying the acceleration and watching the timing advance.  I got "stuck" behind a left lane hog for a while.  When he finally moved over, I crisply accelerated (without even thinking about hidden instantaneous MPG gauge :-).  And I hit the speed alarm!  93.3 mph, default alarm 90 mph.  It seems like car can out accelerate the gauge i.e. the car had already passed the limit by 3.3 mph before the scan-gauge "caught" it :-)

It turns out the overall mileage drop was just a fraction after the spirited drive.  Literally, less than 1 mpg for my commute which is 30 x 2 miles.

- Vikas