Author Topic: Calibration  (Read 25962 times)

Offline ruskastud

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Calibration
« on: September 05, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
Is distance and fuel calibration necessary? I have stock tires. I also have a MAF which the manual says is more accurate. Any info would be much appreciated.

2010 Tacoma DC V6

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Calibration
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 01:09:28 PM »
With it being stock and having a MAF, your accuracy will be fairly good without calibration

Offline ruskastud

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »
With it being stock and having a MAF, your accuracy will be fairly good without calibration

Thanks!

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 02:07:57 AM »
The manual noted that it's pointless to calibrate distance using the stock odometer because it uses the same sensor, but it look like I need a calibration factor of 1.007 for the UG to match the digital trip meter.

Is there any conversion calculations on the data the UG gets through the OBD-II port that causes it to read slightly different from the onboard display?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
The resolution of the speed data provided by the ECM  is 0.62MPH.    For example, a speed value of 70.06 MPH would increase to 70.68, then to 71.3, etc.
The resolution that the vehicle may internally use could be greater.

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:51:56 AM »
Makes sense, with the metric values from the OBD port being converted to US units, there may  be some minor rounding off for the accumulated numbers.  If it were displayed in metric units, then it would have been exact. Even if it had switchable metric/Imperial display, I would set it to display in miles, so it's good-

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:41:16 PM »
When doing a distance calibration, can the values be adjusted in the middle of a trip cycle, i.e. without resetting the trip mileage?
I wasn't planning on resetting the trip until the next fillup of the tank,  but I've been seeing the trip mileage diverge slightly from the reading on the car's odometer, so I went into the calibration menu to resynchronize the numbers.  However, I can't seem to get it really exact, with the numbers still diverging slightly one way or the other. 
Is it valid procedure to do the calibration without resetting the trip?  Does the updated cal multiplier work off the trip totals, or does it affect only the miles added on from that point?  If it doesn't work off the total, then I'll have stop messing with it until I'm ready to actually reset the trip numbers.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »
When doing a distance calibration, can the values be adjusted in the middle of a trip cycle, i.e. without resetting the trip mileage?
I wasn't planning on resetting the trip until the next fillup of the tank,  but I've been seeing the trip mileage diverge slightly from the reading on the car's odometer, so I went into the calibration menu to resynchronize the numbers.  However, I can't seem to get it really exact, with the numbers still diverging slightly one way or the other. 
Is it valid procedure to do the calibration without resetting the trip?  Does the updated cal multiplier work off the trip totals, or does it affect only the miles added on from that point?  If it doesn't work off the total, then I'll have stop messing with it until I'm ready to actually reset the trip numbers.
When the the distance calibration is adjusted, it immediately affects all distance related gauges.
The calibration is made relative to the trip distance gauge.  We recommend the procedure described in the manual.  However, you can tweak it as you go if you like.   For example, let say the distance is off by 1%.  It reports ~99 miles when it should be 100.  Just add ~1% to whatever the trip distance is.  So if the trip distance reads 10 miles, you would enter in 10.1. and the calibration factor displayed would read "1.01". 

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Thanks, that was how I was hoping it was handled- so my mid trip tweaking should yield the same result as if I waited until the full trip.  Perfect!

Offline 98whitelightnin

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 08:11:23 PM »
I dont really understand this either. I have larger tires so I expect the trip in my dash to not be correct. I stop at a mile marker on the interstate and travel 10 miles. Stop at the tenth mile marker and do the celibration and it says to change the numbers it shows to 1.000 but when I do that it sets it exactly to the trip in my dash which is wrong because of the larger tires. Am I doing this right or do I need to enter the actual miles I have traveled and not make it go to 1.000?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:11 PM »
I dont really understand this either. I have larger tires so I expect the trip in my dash to not be correct. I stop at a mile marker on the interstate and travel 10 miles. Stop at the tenth mile marker and do the celibration and it says to change the numbers it shows to 1.000 but when I do that it sets it exactly to the trip in my dash which is wrong because of the larger tires. Am I doing this right or do I need to enter the actual miles I have traveled and not make it go to 1.000?
Assuming that the marks are mile markers and that they are exactly 1.000 miles apart, you would enter 1.000 miles.

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 12:02:33 AM »
For example, let say the distance is off by 1%.  It reports ~99 miles when it should be 100.  Just add ~1% to whatever the trip distance is.  So if the trip distance reads 10 miles, you would enter in 10.1. and the calibration factor displayed would read "1.01". 

So if I'm looking to just get the values from the car odometer  to match the UG reading, I should set it higher by the percentage that it's off, rather than the target value?  In the above example of 10 miles trip distance, is that the UG reading you're referring to, with actual miles being 10.1?
 It doesn't seem like there's any need to do any calculations but instead just set it to whatever the actual miles is.
If the car odometer (and let's assume that's the actual mileage for now) reads 100 miles, and the UG read 99.3 miles, then I enter the calibration miles to 100 miles, which would be  UG reading +0.7%.  The percentage calculation is taken care of just by entry of the target-
We're not supposed to try adjusting the calibration factor, but only enter the actual miles traveled, and the UG then displays the cal factor, correct?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 10:36:10 AM »
For example, let say the distance is off by 1%.  It reports ~99 miles when it should be 100.  Just add ~1% to whatever the trip distance is.  So if the trip distance reads 10 miles, you would enter in 10.1. and the calibration factor displayed would read "1.01". 

So if I'm looking to just get the values from the car odometer  to match the UG reading, I should set it higher by the percentage that it's off, rather than the target value?  In the above example of 10 miles trip distance, is that the UG reading you're referring to, with actual miles being 10.1?
 It doesn't seem like there's any need to do any calculations but instead just set it to whatever the actual miles is.
If the car odometer (and let's assume that's the actual mileage for now) reads 100 miles, and the UG read 99.3 miles, then I enter the calibration miles to 100 miles, which would be  UG reading +0.7%.  The percentage calculation is taken care of just by entry of the target-
We're not supposed to try adjusting the calibration factor, but only enter the actual miles traveled, and the UG then displays the cal factor, correct?
The odometer and UltraGauge get the distance/speed information from the same source.  All my comments are with respect to UltraGauge and not to the vehicle's odometer.   For calibration purposes the vehicle's odometer does not exist.
While you can keep entering numbers to achieve a given calibration factor, following the procedure in the manual and entering the actual miles traveled (as measured by mile markers or GPS), is the best method.

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 05:46:48 PM »
That's the part that's odd, at the default calibration factor of 1.000, the car's odometer doesn't match the UG reading, despite using the same source.  As you indicated, the manual said it doesn't make sense to calibrate using the car's odometer, because they're using the same source.
However, I see a drift as I go along, and when entering the car odometer reading into the cal screen, it results in a cal factor of about 1.007.  I thought it was attributable to the round off error in converting from metric to US miles, as mentioned before. 

Offline TomC

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
I have a question regarding the instructions on calibration of your vehicle.

I have done the distance calibration.  The instructions state:
(2) "Display the "Fuel used -- Genera" gauge.
(3) Fill up the fuel tank.  Once filled, press and hold the UP key to cause UltraGauge to recognize the fill-up

This is the part that does not match the instructions.  When I display the "Fuel used -- General" gauge after filling up the tank, pressing the UP key just cycles thru the A,B,C,D.....R.  Should I just use the gauge to tell the UltraGauge that I filled the tank?

Thanks

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 04:25:16 PM »
Make sure you have the latest version of the manual.  That procedure was clarified and simplified.
http://ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/ultragauge_user_manual.pdf

Offline TomC

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 04:32:17 PM »
Ok...I downloaded the manual, and I still have a question...

Now, the manual states after performing the distance calibration, to "Fill up the fuel tank.  Once filled, press and hold the UP key to cause Ultragauge to recognize the fill up.

Does the gauge have to be on any gauge screen, or just any zone? 

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 05:15:05 PM »
You must be on one of the three pages of gauges while pressing UP to cause a "Tank Fill"

Offline sontakke

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 09:08:35 AM »
Is there a way to tell UltraGauge that the particular tank fill took X amount of gallons?
I thought there was a way where UltraGauge will display what it thinks should have taken to fill
the tank and then you manually correct it using up or down buttons.

If there is such a procedure, it must be well hidden :-(

- Vikas

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »
Is there a way to tell UltraGauge that the particular tank fill took X amount of gallons?
I thought there was a way where UltraGauge will display what it thinks should have taken to fill
the tank and then you manually correct it using up or down buttons.

If there is such a procedure, it must be well hidden :-(

- Vikas
MENU --> FUEL MENU --> Empty Fuel Tank
MENU --> FUEL MENU --> PARTIAL TANK FILL UP