Author Topic: Custom mount...  (Read 50060 times)

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Custom mount...
« on: October 03, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
Didn't have room to mount the standard Ultra-gauge suction cup mount to my windshield so I had to custom make my own mount...from some leftover vinyl gutter downspout.  ;)

Some creative trimming and a single screw keeps the mount in place.  The tab slides in between the Ultra-gauge and the bracket.  Easy on...easy off.  I'm able to quickly pull and tuck it away and out of prying eyes.  ;)

May not be as pretty as the original...but it does the job!  :D

Offline Yummy Banana

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Custom mount...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 11:26:25 AM »
people are coming out of nowhere to mount their gauges to different spots. It's entertaining.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:37:28 AM »
Clever

Offline tmoosetrax

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 06:16:49 PM »
Currently I have mine mounted on the Air vents. Would like to change the location to a more Permanent one without reducing my AC or Heat, one of these weekends.
Here is a look:

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 12:00:38 PM »
Well...the vinyl was a good start but it started flexing a little too much.  :(

So a quick brainstorm and I came up with a wire hanger (14 or 16 gauge) method along with a washer to keep it in place.  A few key bends and adjustments and this is the new improved version.  Remember to make yer adjustments without the Ultra-Gauge mounted or you run the possibility of cracking the plastic bracket. 

With this mount, I'm able to adjust it left/right, in/out, and tilting it forward/back much easier.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »
bamzippow,

That's what we call heavily instrumented.
My dash looks similar.   I have the UltraGauge and a special GPS.  THe GPS has the ability to place many "gauges" on the large display.  For example it has Altitude, Distance to next turn, distance to destination, Speed, Time to next turn, etc.
When I'm on a trip, there is no shortage of information.  However, I find that I never look at the vehicles gauges as they have become obsolete.   For example, the factory  Fuel and Temperature gauges are vague...a gauge with divisions with no units.  All you can say is that the temp is between the 2nd and 3rd bar, what ever that means.  Same with the Fuel.  Since UG provides an accurate digital value, there is no need to look at the factory gauges.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 01:48:02 AM »
You ought to see the other side of the dash.  I have my old GPS there along with an interior mirror that allows me to see the far left lane.  I also have an industrial digital temperature display that I'll be hooking up to my transmission temperature.  :D

If yer curious what the other gauges are fer...the TempRite gauge is fer the air temp of the blower vents.  The one above the vents is fer interior/exterior temps as well as battery voltage.

Offline nedc204

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 08:19:04 AM »
For really solid mounting options, check out: www.proclipusa.com
They make mounts specific for each make/model dashboard.

Offline vangogo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 09:00:56 PM »
I like the idea of mounting UG a little lower on the dash, the Chevy Astro has a empty blank panel below the heat vents that looked like a good spot, I bought a "stainless steel cookie spatula" at the dollar store which I modified and used as the bracket...it was the perfect width, and slipped the tongue under the heat vent. There is a hole in the bracket that fits on the 'bump' that the vent pivots on. I used velcro to mount the UG to the bracket, and since the bracket is flat I can operate the buttons by pressing on the corners of the UG.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 01:53:05 PM »
That's quite creative!  I wonder how well the velcro will hold up over time/heat.  I know the sticky back velcro I have in my T-100 did eventually pull off no matter what I did.  :(

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »
Needed some sun shade fer my UG...

Had some scrap aluminum flashing so I cut out a strip 5/8" wide by 7.5" long.  Bent it into a "T" fer front and rear support.  Used an envelope to make the hood.  Flat black paint to keep the glare to a minimum.  Hot glue to secure the envelope to the "T" support.  3M Super 77 spray adhesive to keep the envelope from unfolding (you can use any glue...that's what I had on hand).

It slides in between the UG and the bracket clip.  My design allows venting and easy access to the buttons.  It can be cut down to size as needed.

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »
Has anybody come up with a way in which to disconnect the UG form the vehicle besides removing the OBDII connector, I was thinking of some way to cut the lead at a point suitable for your installation so as to leave the OBDII connector  and main portion of the wiring in place.

Here in Australia sticky little fingers like to remove GPS from vehicles if they see a circle left behind on the windscreen by the GPS mount, so the UG would become a target too if it can't be removed other than pulling out the OBDII + mount and all the cabling with it.
A dash top pod similar to this would be good for mounting and setting up the front touch modification.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
If you are using the windshield mount, you can just unsnap UG from the mounting bracket and then tuck UG away somewhere leaving only the windshield mount and bracket visible to those with sticky fingers.  They will assume you had a GPS and have taken it with you....and move on.

To unsnap, just lift lightly on the arched portion of the bracket an it will release.  To reinstall, insert UG into the bracket aligning the lower fingers of the bracket with the two notches in UG, then just press the top and it will snap in place.   Don't force it, it should snap easily...if not, the fingers are not in the notches.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 09:09:39 PM »
My mount allows me to remove my UG in about 1 second.  It just slips into the gap between the UG and the bracket.  ;)

You could probably modify the UG with an inline network connector similar to the Scangauge II.  Just make sure you line up all the wire colors to be the same.  I'm sure that will void what ever warranty you will have left on yer UG though.  ;)

Will Ultra-gauge perform work on UG that's been modified like that?  ;)

Offline LostSouthernStar

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:07 PM »
Hey guys,

cannot seem to find any custom mounts online or to buy for my UltraGauge. I have a 2001 Toyota Camry and my mounting locations are limited.

I don't like the windshield mount it comes with and the velcro isn't all that, so I am looking to create a custom mounting device to hold my UltraGauge and a location to mount it. I do not even know where to begin and the available custom mounts online were specifically made for their particular vehicle, and without instructions.

Any suggestions, tips, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-LSS

P.S.-I'm not sure if photos of my dash would help or not...

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 07:51:00 PM »
My wife's car is a 2001 Camry.  Where abouts did you want the mount to be?  You could use one of the existing screws to mount off of...  ;)

Offline LostSouthernStar

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »
Either on the sterring column, just below the odometer as there is that little notch/space there to allow the wheel to be tilted up is the only place I could find...

Which locations would you recommend??? I need all of the help I can get here, lol. Also, needing help finding or making a custom mount.

Thanks!

-LSS

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 11:05:15 AM »
Either on the sterring column, just below the odometer as there is that little notch/space there to allow the wheel to be tilted up is the only place I could find...

Which locations would you recommend??? I need all of the help I can get here, lol. Also, needing help finding or making a custom mount.

Thanks!

-LSS

The notch is where I had put my Scangauge II but it wasn't the greatest spot fer the Scangauge.  The Scangauge was a little too thick but it was the perfect height.  I think that spot wouldn't be a good spot fer the Ultragauge as the Ultragauge would be too tall.  Sloping it back would make it unreadable.  :(

Do you see the 2 screws that attach the cluster to the dash?  I would use one or both of those screws to attach a bracket so you don't have to make any holes in the cluster.  You could use the same bracket setup that I made from hanger wire.  You'll probably have to make the base a little longer so you can adjust it to the height you want.  This is the spot that I will be installing the Ultragauge fer my wife's car.  You definitely want to use a washer and maybe even a longer screw.  Just remember not to tighten the screw too much or you could possibly strip the base material.

Since the cable exits the Ultragauge on the left, the best place to route the cable is along the A-pillar and the left side of the dash.   The ODBII port is centered under the driver's side of the dash.  Ziptie/velcro tie the cable along the existing wire harness fer support.

Offline LostSouthernStar

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 12:06:26 AM »
Thank you!!!

That's the exact same colored dash as mine too. Is there a step by step direction manual for this? Aren't there already screws inside the holes?

I'm not sure how to even make the mount.... :-\

Your help is most appreciative!

-LSS

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 02:20:17 PM »
Thank you!!!

That's the exact same colored dash as mine too. Is there a step by step direction manual for this? Aren't there already screws inside the holes?

I'm not sure how to even make the mount.... :-\

Your help is most appreciative!

-LSS

Here you go...  :D

Here's my 60 solution...a Simpson-Tie bracket you can find at yer local hardware store. The longer end will slide in between the instrument cluster bezel without interfering with anything.  You can easily slip it out and tuck yer UG out of sight (and heat) before you exit the car.  The wire can tuck in between the steering column and dash so it doesn't git in the way.   :D

You can lop off the connector off the windshield mount and fasten it to the bracket from behind with a single screw.  This will allow you to pivot yer UG in the direction you need it to.  Any questions?  ;)

Took the time to take the bezel out to show you that it won't interfere with anything...  ;)