Author Topic: Custom mount...  (Read 36979 times)

Offline Robert_L_Ross

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Custom mount...
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 12:51:05 PM »
Also check with a company called Kuda Mounts...they make a wide variety of mounts for different locations...I use mine for my GPS in my Excursion.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 12:38:57 PM »
Well...the bracket that holds the UG gave out the other day. I currently have UG's position swapped with the TempRite temperature gauge. I'm trying out the "touchscreen" mode to see how well it will work in that position.  Yes...I know I can buy another bracket fer $4 plus shipping...  ;)

All I did was temporarily affix a Velcro square on the back of the UG and one on the dash (just below the clock). This allows the UG to rock a little bit. I had to affix to the dash some scraps of Lexan under the buttons...so to activate the buttons...I just push on the appropriate corner of the UG. It works okay...but I'm not sure how well the Velcro will hold up over time.

So...I found a possible solution. Tetrax magnetic holder!
http://tetrax.com/us/products/fix-line

I went fer the FIX model as it seems like a good choice fer what I want to do. Just over $16 at Fry's Electronics...located back by the car stereo section. The magnetic base is about 3mm thick and the "dot" that affixes to yer device is about 1mm thick. Overall...it raises the device about 4mm from the surface that you are attaching it to. I should be able to make a better Lexan template to center on the base unit. I want to mount the UG in the original spot I had it on instead of just below the clock. My line of sight of the UG is better in the original spot.

So...I have to design a better mounting bracket so the UG can be pressed against. Piccies to follow at some point...

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 02:12:02 PM »
All done with my touchscreen mod...  I ended up using the one of the pieces from the Tetrax packaging to secure the Tetrax into the Lexan.  This makes the link between the mount and the UG a little weaker but it allows the UG to pivot just enough to activate the buttons.  Total cost was just under $20.  I'm sure you recognize the wire hangar that I reused as a level adjuster/holder fer the UG.  Didn't want to hit any big bumps and see the UG rotate or pop off the mount.  To remove the UG from sight, I just lift, separate, and tuck.  :D

Offline 02ranger

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
this cost me 3 cents to do,

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 03:34:43 PM »
Since my first touch pad mod prototype seems to be holding up, I decided to make the mod replicable.

Okay...here are some measurements:

Button spacing:
width = 1 15/16" x height = 1 5/16"

Minimum backing dimensions (w x h): 2 1/2" x 1 5/8"
Maximum backing dimensions (w x h): 3 5/8" x 2"

I went with a backing dimension of 3" x 2". I cut 2 pieces from some scrap Lexan.  I'm using 2 pieces so the Tetrax Fix magnetic base will fit.  I used a 1/2" hole to fit the magnetic base on my prototype.  :D

Currently working on designing the backing plate to mountable on the factory windshield mount.  The mounting plate will have enough space between it and the touchpad mod plate so the cleat will clear the back of the touchpad mod plate.  I'll still be mounting mine to the dash instead of the windshield mount though.  ;)

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 01:00:36 AM »

Currently working on designing the backing plate to mountable on the factory windshield mount.  The mounting plate will have enough space between it and the touch pad mod plate so the cleat will clear the back of the touch pad mod plate.

Will you posting picture DIY of this mount?

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 05:14:21 PM »

Currently working on designing the backing plate to mountable on the factory windshield mount.  The mounting plate will have enough space between it and the touch pad mod plate so the cleat will clear the back of the touch pad mod plate.

As soon as I git it done...yes.  :D

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 07:29:53 PM »
This is the measurement of the cleat opening:

Box width 5/16"
Box height 9/16"

Slot width 3/32"
Slot height 7/16"

Total length 1"

The thickness of the Lexan is a perfect fit!  Not sure what the thickness is though...  ;)

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 08:56:22 PM »

As soon as I git it done...yes.  :D

You mean git-r-done don't you?  ;D  ;D

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »
I think I'm gonna make the cleat mount 1" wide by 1 3/4" tall.  Same fer the Tetrax Fix shims.  Should be able to keep the "thickness" of the touchpad to just one 3"x2" sheet and the rest will be the shims (2 fer the Tetrax and 1 fer the mount) and the mount.  This comes out to about 9/16" thick.  Not too shabby.  :D

I should be able to bond the Lexan together with some Methyl Ethyl Ketone, IPS Weld-on #4, or PVC cement.  I think I will stick with the PVC cement as I already have that on hand.  ;)

Offline kklim

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
How I mounted mine:

Cars here in Singapore come with a toll card reader. I fashioned a holder for the UG out of an old spectacles case and attached it to the reader using an aluminum angle. Gets hot here so when I park in the open I remove the UG from the holder and slip it into one of those soft mobile phone cases and leave it next to the pedals.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2012, 01:53:06 PM »
Calculated the diameter of the Tetrax Fix to use a 15mm hole.  Just ordered a 15mm Forstner bit to cut into the mount so it the Tetrax can be secured.  Should be able to show a working model within 2 weeks.  :D

Should be able to fabricate an inclusive lower support guide into the mounting faceplate so I can lose the wire hanger setup I'm using to keep the UG from rotating on the mount.  ;)

In the meantime...I'll be working on cutting the cleat mount opening so it will work with the windshield mount.  It's gonna be fun working with just a 1/8" drill bit and some file work.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:08:11 PM by bamzippow »

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
Actually I have become accustomed to my supplied windscreen mount, as I don't have to take my eyes off the road, I mount it so that it sits just above my hand at the 11 'o' clock position on the steering wheel and it doesn't obscure my vision.

It still gives me the 'schitts' to have to remove it every time I park in public, it drives my wife mad each time I mount and remove the windscreen mount when leaving the car, but it's 'mine' and I'll do what I like with it.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2012, 01:28:25 AM »
Actually I have become accustomed to my supplied windscreen mount, as I don't have to take my eyes off the road, I mount it so that it sits just above my hand at the 11 'o' clock position on the steering wheel and it doesn't obscure my vision.

It still gives me the 'schitts' to have to remove it every time I park in public, it drives my wife mad each time I mount and remove the windscreen mount when leaving the car, but it's 'mine' and I'll do what I like with it.  ;D  ;D  ;D

So does this mean yer interested in the touchscreen mod mount?  ;)

Offline mgtn101

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2012, 09:04:03 AM »
Although it is not recommended for safety concerns, I am sticking mine directly over my speedometer and using the UltraGauge's digital speedometer instead. Some older Buick's have no tachometer and basically just have one huge speedo in the middle. I saw a video on YouTube where a person mounted theirs on a fairly flat surface with deep napped Velcro. When they need to push a button, all they have to do was push down a bit on the front corners of the unit to depress the buttons on the back. If I push lightly, I don't think it should hurt the unit. Any thoughts?

See the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2b_uvkeLn8

I hope this will work on my car, too. Pictures to come. ;)