Author Topic: Sweet unit for 2010 Hyundai Accent  (Read 6640 times)

Offline hondahirny

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Sweet unit for 2010 Hyundai Accent
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:45:48 AM »
Don't recall how I happened to find the Ultra Gauge, but the many reviews i found really sealed the deal for me.  I already knew about the Scan Gauge, but the high price kept me away.   I bought the top of the line Actron scan tool new for $150 (EBay), so paying $160 for a box that does less stuff just didn't make sense to me.

As luck would have it, my Accent has its OBD port behind an access panel.  The plug is several inches behind this panel, so leaving the UG cable plugged in required no mods and is totally invisible.  I was able to snake the connector through the tilt wheel mechanism and end up with a clean install.  For now, i'm using the suction cup (very good design) but ultimately i'll make a custom mount and put it in the empty bottom portion of the speedo.  This will keep it better hidden to reduce theft.

I originally got it for its MPG abilities, but will ultimately use mostly for keeping an eye on the engine.    My new car (2010 Hyundai Accent) has no temp gauge, and they're useless on most cars anyways.   Although my car doesn't tell me air temp, etc. the engine computer does collect that info as well.  Now with my shiny new UG, i have ambient air, catalytic temp, coolant temp, engine load, voltage, and intake air temp.   Everything that my car's dashboard doesn't tell me, but that the little ECU under the hood knows about :)  Have my MPG stuff on the other pages.   Very cool indeed.

I was also impressed with the packaging.  Very basic and clean.   Great design.   Very reminiscent of the minimalist packaging Amazon has been using on their Kindle.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and speak good things about this product.   I ordered the gauge Sunday, shipped Monday, got it Tuesday.   Between the quick shipping and Priority Mail... life is good.   Keep up the good work guys.   

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet unit for 2010 Hyundai Accent
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 09:55:46 AM »
Your comments are much appreciated

Offline hondahirny

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 10:11:01 PM »
Here's the final install.   As i don't plan to spend much time above 120mph, i didn't mind blocking off a bit of the speedo.   I made a small aluminum l-shaped bracket and mounted it and the UG using 3M double-sided tape.   Looks pretty good at night and keeps me up to date on my engine.   I love it :D

Offline Road Runner

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
I have a 2010 Accent and ended placing the gauage in the same place. I'm gping to buy a new dash housing and cut two slots in that area so that the guage just sits ther. What you think about that?

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 07:27:37 AM »
HONDxxx, thanks for posting the picture. This is a good idea where to mount the UltraGauge.

I am still looking for a place to put mine in or on, I have some space in the instrument cluster, and your idea might just be it. Good job!

Greetings!