Author Topic: Oil pressure  (Read 10427 times)

Offline sscheffert

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Oil pressure
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:51:58 PM »
This does not shoe oil pressure?

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »
This does not shoe oil pressure?

It depends on the vehicle.  What year, make, model do you have?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:54 AM »
Oil pressure is perhaps one of the most important and useful gauges, yet it is not an OBDII standardized gauge and as such is not supported by UltraGauge.   The intent of the OBDII port was more to do with emissions, and the gauges available are typically emissions related.   Since oil pressure has no impact upon emissions, the standards folks did not include it.

Offline Swiftbow

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:58 PM »
Interesting!  So, is there data being submitted to the OBD that includes oil pressure but data reading hasn't been recognized for it or is this data not streamed to the OBD system at all?  I have wondered about this as virtually all later model cars use low oil pressure readings to trigger an oil warning light.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 07:44:53 PM »
Each of the vehicle manufacturers have a mountain of data they collect.  However, they make very little of it openly available through the OBDII interface.  Typically the newer the vehicle, the more data that is available through the OBDII.
There are manufacturer speciifc codes that can access the hidden data, but the codes are not made public.  Many such codes have leaked out.  Soon UG will support such codes, currently UG does not.

Offline Swiftbow

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 04:19:20 PM »
I hope the UG engineers are able to find and decipher oil pressure data.  That would be great gauge to have and monitor.  I'd also like oil temperature but I'm pretty sure my Focust doesn't have such a sensor, relaying on the coolant for judging engine temp conditions.

Offline freddyboy61

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 06:45:55 PM »
With my vehicle, 2004 GMC Envoy, even though the instrument panel has an oil pressure gauge, the engine only uses a simple On/Off oil pressure switch. The PCM (ECM) comes up with a pressure reading for the gauge based on RPM and the state of the oil pressure switch. ::)

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 10:28:38 AM »
Yep, same on most Fords, a fancy oil pressure gauge but powered by a simple switch.

I can live without it. Would be nice to have, but I personally prefer a round gauge, a needle moving withing a range, am not a fan of digital.

Greetings!