Author Topic: Experiences with different Fuel Type (like E85 (Ethanol))  (Read 8098 times)

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Experiences with different Fuel Type (like E85 (Ethanol))
« on: January 13, 2011, 01:25:57 PM »
I noticed that the UltraGauge does not have different fuel types programmed. The ScanGaugeII does allow you to select the fuel type, thus it is not clear to me why it would matter. A gallons goes through, no matter what type it is, right?

Also, sometimes I run pure gas, sometimes a mix, sometimes solely E85.

Does anyone have any experiences with different fuel types? I am thinking about switching back to E85 again as I have to do a lot of long distance runs.

Greetings!

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Experiences with different Fuel Type (like E85 (Ethanol))
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
The Air fuel ratio is different depending on the fuel; Gas, Natural Gas, Ethanol, etc.   If you switch fuel types, you will need to recalibrate UG.   Even fuel with a percentage of Ethanol will result in a change in fuel ratio.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 08:52:37 PM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:01:49 AM »
When you say "recalibrate UG", what part will I have to recalibrate? The actual gallons used/pumped when filling up to compensate, or something else?

Thank you for your input.

Greetings!

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 08:05:49 PM »
When you say "recalibrate UG", what part will I have to recalibrate? The actual gallons used/pumped when filling up to compensate, or something else?
Thank you for your input.
Greetings!
There are two calibration;distance and MPG.   It is the MPG calibration that would need to be repeated.   I have made a note to add a section to the manual to discuss this topic more fully along with suggestions on how to deal with it and how UG deals with it or not.

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »
Thank you.

I understand that there might be differences especially when mixing or switching fuel types. However, if I perform the calibration (fuel used/pumped) every time and solely use i.e. E85, the data should be accurate, right?

You also might want to add that after performing pt. 3 (entering the actual amount of gallons used) you still have to enter the tank fill up (or press the up key). Entering the fuel used does not reset the fuel level, tried it many times.

Greetings!

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 07:33:45 AM »
Thank you.

I understand that there might be differences especially when mixing or switching fuel types. However, if I perform the calibration (fuel used/pumped) every time and solely use i.e. E85, the data should be accurate, right?
If only the one fuel type is used, then the cal need only be performed once...that is assuming the tank contained the same fuel initially.
Quote from: BigGreen
You also might want to add that after performing pt. 3 (entering the actual amount of gallons used) you still have to enter the tank fill up (or press the up key). Entering the fuel used does not reset the fuel level, tried it many times.
Calibration and fuel tank level are separate.   Calibration is performed once, while notifying UG that the tank has been filled occurs at each fill up. ....that is unless you have a good ECM which reports fuel level, in which case UG will auto-fill the tank.

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 07:29:39 AM »
Thank you for the clarification.

I always perform a calibration when filling up, UltraGauge is always way off. I actually spent the time to write down what it displayed. And did a mileage calibration as well, just to be sure.

At the last fill up, I put 28.6 gallons in. With a 35 gallon tank, that would mean 6.4 gallon were left, with 16.8 average MPG the DTE would have to be 107.5 miles. Ultra-Gauge showed DTE of 212.7 miles and a tank level of 13.8 gallons.

This is simple mathematics, don't know why the gauge can't keep up with it. Our main vehicle uses a MAF sensor which is supposedly the more accurate one.

Greetings!

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 06:26:27 AM »
Well, I might be step further.

Just finished another 1,000 mile trip. I got so tired of the DTE and Fuel Level gauge that I reset (zero all and recalibrating) the whole thing.

I have not done the 2nd fill up (with actual number of gallons filled) yet, but it already appears that the information displayed is way more accurate. Now if multiple the average miles per gallon with the fuel level, I get a DTE which pretty much matches what the gauge says.

So hopefully this did the trick. Will post the outcome.

Greetings!