Author Topic: Any true custom installs?  (Read 8752 times)

Offline tc3

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Any true custom installs?
« on: February 20, 2011, 06:05:20 AM »
Just ordered my UG.. and I am planning on installing it flush into the cluster in my beater car once i get around to getting the other gauges. And also planned on relocating the buttons to the dash. Has anyone attempted any of this? just wondering if anyone had pictures of the UG without its cover, And would like to see other installs like this.

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Any true custom installs?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:35:01 AM »
I wouldn't remove it from the case if that's what you were planning.
You could always flush mount it with a soft attachment to allow it to move enough to push the buttons.
You'd need to add button extensions on the back so that pushing on the front corners of the unit will actuate the buttons, because they probably won't reach if you use something like the supplied velcro to attach it.

If you go with a rigid mount then you'd have to actually crack open the unit to get access to the button contacts so you can wire in external buttons.

Offline Intruder1400

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
    • Sable Mountain Records
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »
Relocate the buttons to the steering wheel... now that would be cool... 

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »
Just ordered my UG.. and I am planning on installing it flush into the cluster in my beater car once i get around to getting the other gauges. And also planned on relocating the buttons to the dash. Has anyone attempted any of this? just wondering if anyone had pictures of the UG without its cover, And would like to see other installs like this.

The UG can be opened carefully with the end of a paper clip.  If you break the snaps, you can order a new case from the website and install it yerself or have them do it fer a slightly higher cost. 

The button switches are surface mounted on the PCB and will require delicate soldering if you plan on doing the work yerself.  Using a standard soldering iron could possibly ruin the PCB by lifting the traces.  I would not recommend removing the buttons themselves to relocated to the front of the unit.  Running a flat membrane wire from the PCB to the front with soft touch buttons would be a better choice...kinda like how they did it with the LCD connection on the UG.

Keep in mind that doing this modification will probably void any warranty yer unit may have.  Also, UG may decide to not upgrade/work on yer unit if you decide to ever send it in.

I do have piccies of the unit disassembled. Contact me via PM with yer email address.