Author Topic: 2006 Ford E350 6.0L PSD  (Read 8347 times)

Offline professorpaddle

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
2006 Ford E350 6.0L PSD
« on: March 11, 2011, 03:33:19 PM »
I have a 2006 Power Stroke Diesel Van. I bought this unit after reading that it was supported and that the Setting had to be changed from AUTO to MAP. It does not seem to make a difference.

The odd thing is that when I set the gauge to default settings and go into force protocol then auto discovery it works. But when I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on all the gauges go back to err.

Any thoughts?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: 2006 Ford E350 6.0L PSD
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
WHere did you read that is was supported?
It is on the exceptions list:
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/support/UltraGauge_Compatibility_Exceptions.html
Its not the vehicle that is important but the engine.  All 6.0L and the 7.3L Diesel Ford engines seem to have this issue.

As I recall the problem with the Ford Diesel was that the ECM was unpredictable/unreliable.   It would work like a champ and then suddenly stopped responding to various gauges.  Also the Ford Diesel would report that it had a MAF sensor when in fact it had a MAP sensor.   Forcing the MPG sensor to MAP resolved the phantom MAF gauge, but the ECM would still not be reliable.  It became a constant problem so it was placed on the exceptions list.

When you see "Err" it means that either the ECM is not responding or that respone output of MAF or MAP is 0 while the engine is running.  MAF and MAP should never be zero while running.   You can pull up the MAF, MAP, coolant temp, MPH & RPM gauges,  to determine which of these have non-legitimate values.   I suspect you will find that both MAP and MAF are zero.    Note that often "Err" will be seen with the ignition on, but engine not running.   Starting the engine will typically resolve this.

Offline professorpaddle

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
Well I downloaded the manual and it specifically mentioned how to resolve the Ford diesel issues. Also on that Exception list is F-250 and F-350 not the E-250 or E-350. There are significant differences between the two so I was not sure.

Your description is spot on. Sometimes when I start the car the Fuel Level reads right on and MPG works fine and then I turn my head and they are all reading ERR.

Does not sound like there is a fix for this either from the sounds of it. Right?

James

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 02:32:05 PM »

Does not sound like there is a fix for this either from the sounds of it. Right?
James
When you see the "Err".  Try turning the ignition off then back on.    Essentially you are power cycling the vehicles ECM.
Its not really much of a cure though.

Offline professorpaddle

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 03:51:39 PM »

James
When you see the "Err".  Try turning the ignition off then back on.    Essentially you are power cycling the vehicles ECM.
Its not really much of a cure though.

I am going to pass on turning my van off while driving down the road. It is a big bummer too because I like the gauge display, interface and the options, just not the support for my vehicle. Ratcicle!