Author Topic: Will oil pressure be added?  (Read 12127 times)

Offline beveryafraid

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Will oil pressure be added?
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:33:24 PM »
I noticed one of the few things not on the list is oil pressure. There is oil temp but not pressure. Most cars do have a sensor for pressure of the oil in the crankcase somewhere. I think it should be added at some point. Oil pressure is important since if your oil pump goes out, it could be catastrophic within minutes. So not only would it be a good one to have but a good one to put an alarm for too.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Will oil pressure be added?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 10:43:50 AM »
There is no standardized OBDII gauge for oil pressure.

However, the UltraGauge MX can access such parameters if manufacturer codes exist and are known.
See the detailed info on the MX product page http://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=57
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 04:14:04 PM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline beveryafraid

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:48:38 AM »
Well then the fault is not with you Ultra-Gauge folks, it's the stupidity of the auto manufacturers for not having their ECMs read something really important. Look at how many things that these ECMs read that is not really very useful, but yet they omit something that could save your engine and is as important as oil temp or coolant temp, if not more so! Not only should the ECM monitor oil temp in all or most vehicles but it would be easy for them to set up things so that if the oil pressure went suddenly low, it would shut off your engine. As a pilot I can't imagine flying any piston engined plane without a oil pressure gauge and it's standard equipment in all piston planes and for good reason! But the auto makers apparently want your engine to seize up.

Offline oemtech

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
    • Oemy's UltraPower Performance
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:37:23 PM »
Although this is an old thread and I am a new to the forum it needs a comment.

I can only speak to what I know. The engine oil pressure is available on the GM VPW protocol as an enhanced PID (#115C). The real problem is finding the pid and then get the OBD2 Gauge folks to implement the. For the UG this would mean you have to send it in, not good.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:00:16 PM »
Although this is an old thread and I am a new to the forum it needs a comment.

I can only speak to what I know. The engine oil pressure is available on the GM VPW protocol as an enhanced PID (#115C). The real problem is finding the pid and then get the OBD2 Gauge folks to implement the. For the UG this would mean you have to send it in, not good.
Its not an enhanced gauge, but rather a manufacturer specific gauge designed for use only by their factory service personnel.    Such manufacturer specific parameters are a closely held secret by the manufacturer.   However, some, like the one mentioned, have leaked out and can be accessed.  However, such parameters are unique to the manufacturer and not the protocol and are not part of the OBDII standard.  The Manufacturer is just taking advantage of the existing OBDII interface and using it as a transport for their specific parameters.

Offline oemtech

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
    • Oemy's UltraPower Performance
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 07:02:00 PM »
115C is a non-legislated PID... or Mode 22 request.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:40:49 AM »
So WHEN will UG support custom PIDs?  There was a lot of talk about this and I assumed is was to be in the EM firmware, but it isn't.  When, UG, when?