Author Topic: Ultragauge Screen on and off  (Read 5530 times)

Offline camg042

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Ultragauge Screen on and off
« on: July 01, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »
I have an Ultragauge hooked up to my 01 F150. It was working great for a month. Then the screen would shut off and come back on while I am driving.  It got more frequent and worse. Now the screen would stay off almost half of the time. Here are a couple observations:

1) When the screen came back on, it just came back on without rescanning. Felt like the screen was on and off but the power stayed on the whole time
2) I played with the OBDII connector to check loose connection, it didn't help
3) I cleaned the power prong on OBDII connector #16. it didn't help either
4) Checked my fuses, they are all fine
5) When the screen turn off by itself, if I hold both up and down keys in the back, the screen would come back on. As soon as I release them, it turns off
6) Hook up the Ultragauge to my other car, 01 Maxima, works fine the screen stays on the whole time

What can I do to fix this? Is there something on the set up I can do such as different power on detect mode? What else can I check in my car? TIA

Dave

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Ultragauge Screen on and off
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:00:26 PM »
Dave,

This is not really a support forum.  You should submit a support ticket.   However, there may be an easy fix.  Take a look at the "Power-off Retries" setting on page 35 of the user manual.

Also, keep an eye on the "heart beat" does it seem to freeze?

Offline camg042

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 04:09:53 PM »
I tried increasing the number in "power off retries" menu but it only helped a bit. I did notice the heartbeat froze before the screen turned off. I only notice this after I played with the power off retry numbers. I will now open a trouble ticket so you can help me to resolve this issue. Thanks!

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
Sounds like you might have a bad ground.  Check yer ground connections (including the battery posts) carefully...maybe even pull them and clean them very well before reinstalling them.  ;)

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
Had a similar issue on the same vehicle, 2001 Ford F-150.

Screen came on and off during driving all by itself. Checked everything.

Found out by incident that the ground wire from the alternator, which is mounted to the transmission, had a bad ground.

Took it off, cleaned it, put it back on and now the screen stays on. It does flicker for a fraction of a second occasionally (rather rarely), but that's it.

Greetings!