Author Topic: Firmware flash  (Read 8874 times)

Offline tfuk

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Firmware flash
« on: July 14, 2011, 05:35:47 AM »
Is it possible to download the firmware and to flash it into UltraGauge unit by the user? Unfortunately, I found no such information on the web.

What I want is the UltraGauge with metric units displayed. I know it might come soon but the first SW versions always have some bugs...
What I prefer is to buy the entire version now, to play with it for few weeks, to replace the SW when available - and depending on bugs found to stay with it or to return back to imperial units for some period.
It's very inconvenient to send the unit two or three times back and there again when I'm in Europe  ???

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware flash
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 10:59:28 AM »
UltraGauge is not field upgradeable.  UG must be returned to be upgraded.    Returning units internationally is time & cost prohibitive.    The Metric version has been in beta testing for some time and so far there have been zero defects found, other than a few typos.    Our engineers always want more testing, but we are at the point of dimensioning returns.  UltraGauge EM, as it is called, will be released by the end of July or early August.

Offline tfuk

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 09:54:14 AM »
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
I have never seen any 100% bug-free software and it's difficult to believe in metric units testing by people living in imperial units environment and using US versions of cars. The real testing results (bug reports) you will get from European customers using ňuropean car versions.
You should consider some samples for testing here.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:58:59 AM »
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of.
I have never seen any 100% bug-free software and it's difficult to believe in metric units testing by people living in imperial units environment and using US versions of cars. The real testing results (bug reports) you will get from European customers using ňuropean car versions.
You should consider some samples for testing here.
Our Beta testers are located in the USA, Canada, Europe and Australia.

Offline tfuk

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 04:30:45 PM »
I suppose the Europe means UK  :)
Take my posts as a feedback why I will not hasten to buy an early version.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 07:39:42 PM »
Europe = Germany, Poland, England, Norway, and Ireland.

Offline tfuk

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 01:04:29 PM »
As I understand from the User Manual, UG uses for gas consumption/mileage a simple calculation MAF * 14.7 when MAF sensor is present.
Otherwise it uses an approximation - a calculation based on MAP sensor, % of load, RPM, typical torque_vs_RPM diagram for atmosphere-charged engines and some adjustment constant VE (I call it a Bulgarian constant  :) )

I suppose both methods will work very badly with my car. I have a 260hp turbo-charged engine with very flat torque_vs_RPM diagram and use a mix of gas and ethylalcohol (from 3% to 45% of ethylalcohol depending on locally available fuels). As burning 1 liter of ethylalcohol needs 40% less air than burning 1 liter of gas, any calculation based on quantity of air without knowing the percentage of ethylalcohol must be wrong.

The only method which can give accurate results in this situation is the injection-monitoring-based one. My built-in board computer must use this method as it shows reasonable values (103% of real fuel consumption) regardless of fuel mixture composition. Alas, it does not show many other interesting gauges  ;D

Am I right?

Offline BigGreen

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 09:25:07 AM »
Europe = Germany, Poland, England, Norway, and Ireland.

I just have to reply:

Europe is one of the world's seven continents.

The European Union is an economic and political union of 27 member states.

It can be that UltraGauges testers are in those 5 countries only and they define that as Europe, but then please state it clearly. It hurts educated people to see postings like that.

Greetings!

Offline dixie_boysles

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »
What other features are there other than metric display.  thinking about doing sending mine in to be flashed