Author Topic: Just installed the new Ultra-gauge EM...  (Read 10320 times)

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Just installed the new Ultra-gauge EM...
« on: September 10, 2011, 11:14:36 AM »
It's discovered 10 more gauges (not sure which ones yet) than my original Ultra-gauge. 

7 pages vs 3 pages of displays!  I like this!

It still fits in my custom holder and sun shield, too!  :D

Time to go fer a long drive and see what she does...  ;)

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Just installed the new Ultra-gauge EM...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 07:55:53 AM »
I like the ability to change the number of items on a page (4-6-8 items), selectable pages to display, ability to change the update time.  :D

Having more fun with the new Ultra-gauge EM...  ;)

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 06:20:31 AM »
How many seconds do you have your update time set at?

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »
How many seconds do you have your update time set at?

Currently at 0.5 seconds.  :D

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 04:27:18 AM »
I also forgot to ask you what type of vehicle you have the UG EM gauge in, also what protocol does your vehicle use?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 08:42:31 AM by subyroo »

Offline TomatoSoup

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 08:38:21 AM »
Actually I'm a bit disappointed in the EM.  Cost me over $20 (w/shipping) to get the ability to change refresh times and add some "short trip" MPG /mileage readouts.  I was expecting (obviously mistakenly) the ability to add custom PIDs.  Not so.  Certainly no new OBD gauges beyond those in the basic firmware.

Can't see why they charge new buyers the extra $10 for metric (which it should have had anyway) and some slight set of new features.  Sigh.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 04:09:41 AM »
I also forgot to ask you what type of vehicle you have the UG EM gauge in, also what protocol does your vehicle use?

1998 Toyota T-100 3.4L V6 engine automatic trans
Protocol 9141

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 04:18:06 AM »
Actually I'm a bit disappointed in the EM.  Cost me over $20 (w/shipping) to get the ability to change refresh times and add some "short trip" MPG /mileage readouts.  I was expecting (obviously mistakenly) the ability to add custom PIDs.  Not so.  Certainly no new OBD gauges beyond those in the basic firmware.

Can't see why they charge new buyers the extra $10 for metric (which it should have had anyway) and some slight set of new features.  Sigh.

If you ever worked in product development, you would know that not all ideas can be implemented immediately.  Some ideas work...some don't.  Things take time to be developed...not all ideas comes to one's skill set at the same time.  Just like the saying goes...it's ready when it's ready.  ;)

Although the UG is a great device, it has things the competition doesn't have and the competition has things that the UG doesn't.  I would love the opportunity to add in PIDs but when the time comes when/if that option is ready...that's when it will be ready.  I can only wait...unless you are willing to build a device that can do that fer about the same price.   ::)

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 05:00:59 AM »

1998 Toyota T-100 3.4L V6 engine automatic trans
Protocol 9141

Thanks for the reply bamzippow.

Hmmmmm! I was curious because my Forester runs the same protocol and having the screen refresh/update more often would be a good thing,
I just don't want to interfere/disrupt any of the sensors by doing so, hence my query ref your vehicle etc.

Offline catnapped

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 05:09:41 PM »
Also nice to be able to put any given gauge on all the pages if you want.

Another question leading from what others have asked...does response time slow down if you have it set to display more gauges?  In other words, would having 12 parameters monitored update slower than if you only had 2?

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 11:11:19 AM »
Also nice to be able to put any given gauge on all the pages if you want.

Another question leading from what others have asked...does response time slow down if you have it set to display more gauges?  In other words, would having 12 parameters monitored update slower than if you only had 2?

I haven't played with that yet...I guess I could try going from 4 to 6 to 8 parameters on the screen and see what happens.  I think it will depend on the protocol that yer vehicle is using.  I know that the 9141 is a slow protocol.  :(

I was thinking about hooking up two Ultra-gauges via a splitter cable and seeing if that would work.  I guess I should git my original Ultra-gauge updated first.  ;)