Author Topic: Support ticketing System failing  (Read 4307 times)

Offline TrackDaddy

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Support ticketing System failing
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:10:46 AM »

on a 2012 Ford Focus CAN-11

The device appears to have missed detecting a gauge.  I'm pretty sure my car has 2 x O2 gauges.  I look at the Ford Parts site and looks like there is a front and rear O2 gauge.  I'm no mechanic so, I could be wrong.

However, the Ultra Gauge only shows "Bank1 O2 2 Voltage".  I suspect that my Ultra Guage should show a  "Bank1 O2 1 Voltage" but, it doesn't.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:40:39 AM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Support ticketing System failing
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 04:52:14 AM »
Manufacturers don't always make all sensors available via OBDII.  In fact, they typically do not.  It is not surprising that they would provide some O2 sensors and not others.   It does seem odd that there is a sensor 2 and not a 1,  but UG only reports what it finds.  Looking in the database, we do see a few other current model Ford's reporting the same results.

Offline tfuk

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »
There are 3 sets of PIDs associated with the O2 sensors.

The first set is $14 to $1B - this is displayed by UG as "O2 Sensor Output Voltage".
These PIDs shall be used for a conventional, 0 to 1 volt oxygen sensor.
Any sensor with a different full scale value shall be normalized to provide nominal full scale at $C8 (200 decimal).
Thus, here you see your "Bank1 O2 2 Voltage".

Wide-range/linear oxygen sensors shall use PIDs $24 to $2B or PIDs $34 to $3B.
The second set, i.e., $24 to $2B, is displayed by UG as "Wide O2 Sensor Output Lamda" and here I suppose you see nothing. Don't worry, the same does my car with 2 O2 sensors.

The third set, i.e., $34 to $3B, is not displayed by UG, and here you should find the output of your Bank 1 O2 Sensor 1. This is what my car does too.

Offline TrackDaddy

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:22:25 AM »
Very interesting.  The O2 sensor were throwing me for a loop so to speak.  I had read that they had a range of 0.1 - 0.9 with a optimal value of 0.45.  However, mine was reading around 0.625 or so.  Then I see that they normalize the range and republish the value on a scale of 0 - 1.275.

If I understand this correctly the data does indeed exist.  The sensors are ones that need their values normalized.  This moves them to a different locaiton.  The ultra guage handles on of the values but, not the other.

Offline tfuk

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:56 AM »
I had read that they had a range of 0.1 - 0.9 with a optimal value of 0.45.  However, mine was reading around 0.625 or so.  Then I see that they normalize the range and republish the value on a scale of 0 - 1.275.
I am afraid that this is not correct. The car's ECU should normalize the sensor output to scale 0-1V as required by SAE J1979 _ 2006 edition. The 1,275 V is the maximum value which can be transmitted but 1,0 V should be the reading at full scale sensor output.
I suppose your ECU does not do any normalization with your 0,1-0,9 V sensor and you should read 0,45 V in fact.
In the case the ECU did the normalization 0,1 V - > displayed 0 V; 0,9 V -> displayed 1 V, with real 0,45 V sensor output the display were 0,4375 V.
In the case the ECU did the normalization 0,0 V - > displayed 0 V; 0,9 V -> displayed 1 V, with real 0,45 V sensor output the display were 0,5 V.
Far away from your 0,625 V reading.

If I understand this correctly the data does indeed exist.  The sensors are ones that need their values normalized.  This moves them to a different locaiton.
I suppose that the reason why your bank 1 sensor 1 is probably moved to PID $34 is that its output is current, not voltage.
(For wide-range sensors with voltage output serves PID $24).

I am not familiar with the O2 sensors construction, but sensors 1, 2 are installed in different locations. I think that wide-range sensor 1 is before catalyst and sensor 2 behind it. Thus, different temperatures, different rest of unburned fuel and/or oxygen and therefore different sensors construction.