Author Topic: Power off Detect mode  (Read 6952 times)

Offline TrackDaddy

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Power off Detect mode
« on: September 14, 2011, 11:57:12 PM »
I have a 2012 Ford Focus.  When I turn off the engine the Ultra Gauge display turns off.  That's great. 

However, when I open the door to get out and it turns back on.  I shut the door and about 3 minutes later it turns off.  Not really bad, does make you feel uneasy. 

QUESTION: The manual describes a "Power off Detect mode" that can be placed in one of five states.  Would one of these modes address this issue?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Power off Detect mode
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »
More and more vehicles have a non-traditional ignition switch.  Instead its more or less an input to the computer.  Nothing is actually switched off.   With GM vehicles, the cab stays active for several minutes after the ignition is off.   The radio stays on, the interior lights remain on, etc.   However, when you open and close the door, then the computer shuts off most of the systems.
It sounds like your Ford is doing something similar.
If UG wakes back up, this means the vehicle's computer began responding (with the ignition off)   
You can set the "Power off Detect" mode to 3 to eliminate this behavior, however, there is no harm in this behavior, whereas there is a draw back to mode 3.  See the manual for more details

Offline TrackDaddy

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:34:42 AM »
Promptness of product support is pretty spectacular!

I'll keep it set to the default.  The reason I asked was that I posted to the FocusFanatics forum.  It was pretty warmly received.  I know I sold at least one for you! The only negative comment was that one customer had one and accidental left their door open all weekend and the battery died.  I doubt the Ultra Gauge had anything to do with that.  I had noticed the power down behavior and wanted to see if that could be addressed.  As you point out it and, my experience is that it doesn't appear to cause an issue.

TrackDaddy

Offline scottjl

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:27:35 PM »
another focusfanatics.com customer here. replacing my aged and unsupported dashhawk.. maybe you should do some advertising on the forums!

Offline TrackDaddy

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 05:11:18 PM »
Just participating on the forums answering generic questions regarding your area of expertise is a great way to market your product.  Generic OBDII questions or understanding how your customers use your product for fuel effiency and adding value that way.  Its an opportunity.

Offline TrackDaddy

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:49:32 AM »
 I set the Power off Detect mode to 3.  However, my battery still drains down to about 12.04V overnight (about 0.6 V loss or about 75% of the battery).  If I park the car more than just overnight the battery is dead.

With the UltraGauge not connected it only drains about 0.1V.

I'll set the power on delay to 300 seconds as is the non-supported mini cooper recommendation.  However, I'm not all that confident at this moment.

Track Daddy