Author Topic: Dead batteries  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Ro3bert

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Dead batteries
« on: December 09, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »
There has been a number of people who, after installing their UG's have had batteries go dead. I have doubts that it had anything to do with UG's. One of the major contributors to dead batteries is oxidization of the terminals. It is not always easy to tell if and how much there is as the outside of the connecting wire end looks clean, however when the terminal is removed the battery terminal is black. (Green fuzz is an obvious indication of course)

Over time ALL battery terminals become oxidized which results in the battery not being charged as it should (the oxidization produces resistance; that same resistance can cause difficulty starting the engine). If the battery is changed the problem goes away BUT may have wasted (often) a perfectly good battery.

So before deciding the battery is no good or the UG or any other consumer for that matter, ALWAYS CHECK THE TERMINALS FOR CORROSION (OXIDIZATION).

Mechanics are notorious for neglecting that simple maintenance item.

Robert

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Dead batteries
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »
Having the ability to disconnect the UG from the cable at the unit end would eliminate that possibility besides being able to store it out of sight when the vehicle is unattended.
Young thieves in this particular part of the world target GPS's and they wouldn't know the difference between the two when it's turned off. It's pisses both my wife & I off each time we have to remove the UG from the windscreen wipe the circular mark off where it was clamped (dead giveaway off GPS inside) and hide it in the car when we park.