Author Topic: Trouble code question  (Read 6371 times)

Offline Ro3bert

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Trouble code question
« on: December 26, 2011, 10:40:13 AM »
2011 MB Sprinter 2500, 3.1v6.

After installing my UG I took the van out for a spin to check out the gauge and along the way began getting an alert that there was a pending trouble code, a bit later the check engine light came on.

At home I checked the code and found P252D which I cleared so light went out but it is still pending. What does P252D signify? Something with the power train but have been unable to find that code anywhere on the internet and believe me I've spent an hour or more searching sites that are supposed to give OBD-II codes with their meaning---no luck. Hope someone can help me before I spend money at the MB dealer in Danbury.

Robert

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble code question
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 12:09:48 PM »
Engine Oil Quality Sensor Circuit High

Offline Ro3bert

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 02:15:42 PM »
Engine Oil Quality Sensor Circuit High

Thanks, but what does that mean? I only have slightly over 5000 miles on it (bought it new).

How can "Oil Quality" be sensed/known by the ECM or whatever other computer is used, and what does it mean the circuit is high (voltage or current high)?

??? Robert

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 07:11:05 PM »
Let's assume that there is an "oil quality" sensor.   Such a sensor might have an output range of 2V to 7V.  With 2V being good quality and 7V being the worst.   If the computer reads the sensor and finds a value of 10V, then you get a "Engine Oil Quality Sensor Circuit High"    Likewise if the computer read 0.5V, then it might output "Engine Oil Quality Sensor Circuit low".

I would avoid taking it to a shop.  They will just take your money and may or may no fix the problem.  Instead, purchase a factory shop manual.  Factory shop manuals are sold by the manufacturer.  Avoid the manuals found at the auto parts store.   A factory shop manual will have very detailed specific information and will cover the various sensors.   Buying factory manuals on-line is the way to go.  You can even find them on ebay.

Offline Ro3bert

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:19:54 AM »
Let's assume that there is an "oil quality" sensor.   Such a sensor might have an output range of 2V to 7V.  With 2V being good quality and 7V being the worst.   If the computer reads the sensor and finds a value of 10V, then you get a "Engine Oil Quality Sensor Circuit High"    Likewise if the computer read 0.5V, then it might output "Engine Oil Quality Sensor Circuit low".

Yikes! There is an "oil quality" sensor in all Mercedes Benz's according to my local MB service manager. Somehow it can tell the difference in viscosity from normal and tell if fuel or water is in the crank case.

I would avoid taking it to a shop.  They will just take your money and may or may no fix the problem.  Instead, purchase a factory shop manual.  Factory shop manuals are sold by the manufacturer.  Avoid the manuals found at the auto parts store.   A factory shop manual will have very detailed specific information and will cover the various sensors.   Buying factory manuals on-line is the way to go.  You can even find them on ebay.

Fortunately my Sprinter is still under warranty so won't cost me anything. Shop manual(s) sounds like a good idea but will have to wait for later.

Robert