Author Topic: Missing gauge?  (Read 4813 times)

Offline speedlever

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Missing gauge?
« on: March 22, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
I belatedly realized that there is no gauge for voltage that I can find. There must be a good reason for it to be missing, but my experience is that the voltage info is in the OBDII data stream.

Can you advise?

Offline speedlever

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Missing gauge?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
The only voltage gauges I see deal with O2 sensors and such. I would like to see the system voltage so I can know the relative health of the battery/alternator. I should be seeing 14.2v, +/- while the engine is running.

I have a similar device connected to the OBD2 port that supplies voltage info when the UG is not connected. Otherwise, the UG takes precedence over the other device when they're both connected. Protocol 9141 being found on my 2008 vehicle. Since one device can find it, I'm surprised that the UG does not supply this info inasmuch as the UG has many more gauges than my other device.

Offline speedlever

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »
Well, no response to my request for battery voltage. Disappointing.

Since the UG is superfluous on my RL (I have another device installed which does report battery voltage), I will move the UG to the Pilot which does not have another device available.

I like the UG. I'm disappointed that my 2008 vehicle only has the 9141 protocol available and all attempts thus far to get info from the manufacturer about the protocol issue is like pushing a rope.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:30:39 AM »
Battery voltage is like most other gauges, it is vehicle dependent.  Some vehicles support it via the OBDII as a standard gauge, and some do not.  If it does not appear on the gauge selection list, then your vehicle does not support it.    The other device is measuring the voltage and is not getting the voltage from OBDII requests.

UPDATE:  With the introduction of the UltraGauge EM version 1.2 on 6/27/12, Battery Voltage is now a standard gauge which is available even if the vehicle does not support it
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:14:06 AM by UltraGauge Admin »