Author Topic: Calibration frustration  (Read 23224 times)

Offline rodallg

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Calibration frustration
« on: May 14, 2012, 09:18:34 PM »
Looking for some help here with this Ultragauge regarding the fuel calibration. Iím in the middle of a long road trip and Iím about to pull what hair I have out.
Here it goes, after improperly calibrating the thing by pressing wrong buttons and zeroing things out before I left the trip I thought that going back after a fill up and resetting to full tank, zeroing the average MPG and resetting the calibration factor to 1.0 after a fill up. All is well until I fill up again and go to enter the gallons used I see the number in there that is no where near close to what I have so I change to the amount that I put in. Well what that does is just wack out the unit as far as the MPG and DTE. So I go back and zero out the average MPG and reset the calibration to 1.0. Do you see where this is goingÖ..round in circles!
Thinking I need to go in and reset the whole thing.
Ant thoughts for help since Iím frustrated?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Calibration frustration
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:54 AM »
To reset everything and start as if new:

Menu --> UltraGauge Setup... --> Restore ALL Defaults

Offline rodallg

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:35:39 PM »
I think I have the answer I was looking for, not defined in the manual. 1st fill up after installing and zeroing, enter in the gallons used and on the 2nd fill up add the gallons used to what was used on the 1st fill up. Example: first fill up was 10 gallons and the 2nd was 12, you would adjust the amount to 22 gallons and not the 12 gallons.
Got it right?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 03:50:55 PM »
Only if you filled up the tank twice after you started the procedure.  The word "after" is key.
Be sure you have the latest EM manual.  The calibration process was recently expanded upon

lildaddym

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
How do we find the latest manual?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile

Offline oj88

• Newbie Gearhead
  • I hope my wife had a DLC port.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 05:50:16 AM »
The following steps were taken from the manual on calibrating distance.

1. Align front tire with first mile marker
2. Reset the trip gauges: MENU  Gauge Menu  Zero All Trip
3. Travel to the next mile marker, aligning the front tire to the mile marker
4. Select: Menu  Vehicle Setup  Calibration  Calibrate Distance
5. Change the value shown to 1.000 miles*, using the UP and DOWN keys
6. Press Menu to save and set the calibration

I followed it step by step, but when I got to step 4, it won't allow me to fine tune the distance.  ???

Well, I eventually figured it out but had to do everything all over again. So, I suggest that the following step be added:

Step 2.5
Select: Menu  Vehicle Setup  Calibration  Reset Distance CAL

Offline Intruder1400

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
    • Sable Mountain Records
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
After step TWO, it should read EXIT MENU MODE...  The UG will NOT calculate anything while in menu mode....

I looked at the "NEW" manual and they still have not added that very important step....  ah yes, progress.

Offline shadescape

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 04:23:22 PM »
sure seems to be there for me
I ordered the UG EM yesterday- for my 08 Escape- looking forward to installing it and finding out how to squeeze a few more MPG
instead of waiting till it arrives I've been studying the owners manual
sure seems well written and easy to follow

Offline Intruder1400

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
    • Sable Mountain Records
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
shadescape,

clicked on the link to the manual, scrolled down and, by gum, it IS there in the new manual... good to see. When I clicked on the link it must have been before the new manual was posted.  Either that or I was getting a cached version on my computer.

Offline shadescape

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 07:00:15 PM »
Intruder--

you can believe I have been listening here- you folks seem sharp- I'm old school- these new fangled things sort of make my head swim

I've got 2 Escapes- one consistantly beats the other in gas mileage- if you leave out town driving
I ordered the Ultra Gauge, have the custom mount made, got to figure out why one is so much better than the other- this guage will help-

I Hyper Drove the 09 today- shocking

it's all good- I think I've got this UG all figured out
but I have yet to see it- and lord help me when I install and take it for a drive-

I'm figuring on a few posts- like "help"

Offline Gerhardp1

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 02:07:55 AM »
I tried to download the latest manual and IE reported the file not downloadable.

I'd like to get it since the calibration is driving me insane, the fuel use reporting twice the actual.

Offline subyroo

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 08:18:10 PM »
Ditch IE and use Firefox or Google Chrome instead, I use Firefox myself and only ever use IE for the very, very rare case where I can't use Firefox.

Offline shadescape

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
 have 3 computers- UG downloads perfectly-

you might be trying to download incorrectly

or- you need to adjust your computer spam/security setting setting

I'm makin a post- I just received my UG
I love love it
It's opened my eyes- to why to you should have an accurate/instantaneious- reading on your driving
in one day and 30.7 miles- it's showed me the instantious mileage- I've upped my mileage by 17% with the UG

I'd venture to bet anyone who doesn't have this gauge/or one comparable- who talks about superb mileage/doesn't need a gauge- to allow one to install the UG in his/hers vehicle- and we of course woud ride along-

all I have to say is- without this gauge- you wouldn't bet on your mileage- unless you were willing to back it up-you for sure would like to have a doubter with an open billfold sitting in your passenger seat

Offline 8cneale@sbcglobal.net

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 08:32:33 PM »
I don't know much about this product as I haven't even installed mine yet, but I DO know that highway mile markers are not accurate in that they may be off by almost a tenth of a mile! If that's what you are using for calibrations, you are asking for problems...

Find something more accurate! In California, I do know that Highway Patrol cars have "certified" speedometers which have accurate odometers and mph gauges. Wherever you are, make a friend in law enforcement and have him/her measure a mile for you, then go ahead and calibrate your stuff...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 08:42:13 PM by 8cneale@sbcglobal.net »