Author Topic: Custom DIY UG Pillar Pod Mount  (Read 14409 times)

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Custom DIY UG Pillar Pod Mount
« on: December 17, 2012, 08:51:41 AM »
I have owned my UltraGauge for a few months. I'm really pleased with it's functionality but I might as well get my criticism although minor out of the way first. These are design issues. Not being able to disconnect the cable from the UltraGauge presents a problem for a really clean custom installation due to the size if the OBD2 connector having to be fished through the dash to plug in. If the cable where it enters the UltraGauge was to have a mini USB style connector then the sky would be the limit. The other downside to the UltraGauge is the buttons on the back. Placing the buttons anywhere on the front of the UltraGauge would make is a breeze to install semi permanently. Maybe the designers thought that putting them on the back would assist in preventing those with a death wish from trying to program their UltraGauge while doing 75 MPH down the highway. Unfortunately nothing will stop those at the bottom of the gene pool from risking their lives and ours. That said these points were not a deal breaker as I knew about these short falls before I purchased.

I am very fussy about my ride. I drive a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 liter. My goal is to do my best to make any accessory I install look as original to the car as possible.

Most important for me was that my UltraGauge was mounted at the same level as my line of sight was on the road ahead of me.

I first mounted my UltraGauge on the suction cup goose neck that it came with just behind the rear view mirror. The cord is too short for that so I purchased a short OBD2 extention cord. I wasn't comfortable with that position because it took my eyes off the road for too long. I searched the net for a rectangular pod but found nothing. Mounting below the dash was also out of the question for the above reason.

I had mentally designed a number of pillar pod possibilities but abandoned them do to their complexity.

While shopping at the super one day I happened upon a "designer" bar of soap that was packed in a nice plastic box which looked to be about the size of the UltraGauge. For $3.50 I thought I would take a chance. Well to my surprise the UltraGauge fit in with a slightly snug press fit that kept it from falling out.  Next I walked through one of the big box home improvement stores looking for something to make the neck out of. I settled on a 45* PVC elbow.

After making the necessary modifications to the elbow and the plastic box it was time for a proper finish. I wanted the pod to match the car's interior color and surface texture.

First I sanded the elbow smooth. Next I sprayed the elbow and the box with 3M spray adhesive which left the surfaces with a textured finish. I placed the parts in a food dehydrator to dry for 24 hours. If you don't have one the parts should air dry at least 2 weeks. When the parts were cured I sprayed them with SEM rattle can that matched my interior color.

I'm very pleased with the way my less that $5.00 custom pillar pod turned out. When I park my ride I place the cover over my UltraGauge to keep those prying eyes disinterested. Let me know what you think.

Note: To access the buttons a slight lift of the cable and the UG pops right out of the case.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 09:02:21 AM by MexiJeeper »

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Custom DIY UG Pillar Pod Mount
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:36:01 AM »
Amazing job.
There might be some benefit to notching the plastic of the rear carrier around the light sensor opening.  Just to ensure you do not block the ambient light.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
Great job!  You might consider doing the touch pad mod...that way you don't have to lift the UG out of the case...you would just press on the appropriate corner.  :D

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:44:52 PM »
Great job!  You might consider doing the touch pad mod...that way you don't have to lift the UG out of the case...you would just press on the appropriate corner.  :D

Interesting that you mention that. I am now considering this install as my prototype. I'm already working on designing my own case with a front bezel cutout so that the screen is visible. On that design I will either do the touch screen push the front to activate the buttons or I'll build an internal lever setup with buttons in the front of the case I build. I'll post more once the new project is underway.

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 09:40:37 AM »