Author Topic: Custom DIY UG Pillar Pod Mount The Final Chapter  (Read 11380 times)

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Custom DIY UG Pillar Pod Mount The Final Chapter
« on: December 24, 2012, 02:51:58 PM »
Well I must say that I really liked the job I did in my previous post but...

There were a few things I didn't like. First and foremost was that impossible to hide cable coming outside of the case. The other was the fact that I had to pop the UG out of the case to access the adjustment buttons on the back.

This time around I decided that I wanted some wood accent on the UG case. I settled on Bolivian Cedar because I had some in my shop. The case was assembled in one piece and then parted on my mini table saw. I won't go into great construction detail other than to say that working with relatively close tolerances is critical. Hopefully the photos will help.

Since I wanted to have a go at the touch screen mod I had to make sure that the UG fit into the case with just enough play to allow the corners to move without binding. The way the top of the case fits is critical as you don't want it to press against the UG. It should just touch it. The UG should just rest on the buttons glued to the inside of the back of the case.

To move the cable from the side to the back I removed the back of the case. Not an easy task. I forced mine apart and broke the unique tabs that hold it together. After opening mine I noticed that there are very small holes on the sides of the case where the two parts join. Using a paper clip in the holes with a slight push will disengage the tabs without breaking them. A bit late for me but no biggie as it will all be hidden. I then cut the back of the case with my Dremel from the side where the cable exits to the center of the back of the case where I had predrilled a 3/16" hole to accept the now moved cable. Where the cable exits the newly drilled hole I applied a little glue to keep the cable from causing any stress to the soldered bundle inside the UG.

There are eight very thin wires in the cable. Each one will fit through the narrow Dremeled slot. Be sure not to fold those wires over too many times or they may break. In my case after exiting the center hole of the back with the cable I applied a bit of glue in each corners of the case so that it would stay tightly shut but not so that I would never be able to take it apart again. If you are going to attempt to re-route the wires do so at your own risk. Just be careful.

When I completed the carpentry work including sanding a radius on each corner I textured and painted the back part of the case and stained and clear coated the front bezel.

I think I'm done but I thought that the last time. I hope this install inspires you to continue being creative. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Custom DIY UG Pillar Pod Mount The Final Chapter
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
Beautiful work!