Author Topic: Ideal mounting for accessing the button functions  (Read 18759 times)

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Ideal mounting for accessing the button functions
« on: January 12, 2013, 05:03:11 PM »
I was intrigued with the video of the mounting showing that when the 3 corners are pressed, the buttons on the reverse are activated.

I'm getting an Ultragauge in the next couple months, and will use a backplate with a velcro square/rectangle in the middle as the connection point and a pivot point. The 3 buttons will get a little 'bump' glued to them, or on the backplate so when the 3 corners are pressed, the buttons will be activated. If the velcro is done well, this can be a very 'tight' installation. It also depends on how the buttons are activated, is it only contact when pressed, or an actual 'click' , as well as the amount of movement.

I'm looking to make an almost OEM installation into a 2009 Ford F150.

Offline Jaskel

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Ideal mounting for accessing the button functions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:09:29 PM »
cool, im keen to see more custom mounts..just trying to decide where i will mount mine!

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 11:22:43 PM »
I think my best option is to use a dash pod that is actually for an Edge tuner. The Ultragauge is smaller, but I don't think it will be a problem. I showed a friend the UG and he is expecting it any day now, so I'll be able to evaluate the UG and how I may want to mount it before I purchase it.

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 12:06:48 AM »
I believe the UG is 3.5" x 2.5" and the dash pod for the Edge CS has an opening of about 4" x 2.5" which is the size of an Edge CS. So that creates a problem using a dash pod. I'll try to verify this info. I really would like a left-of-dash pod-mount.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:47:28 PM »

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 12:49:41 AM »
Wow, thanks for the graphic! So it appears (very fortunately) that the UG will fit into an Edge Dashpod with hook+loop fasteners.

An Edge dash pod spray painted to match or compliment the dash/interior will be an awesome mount. (See my earlier post about modification to allow button functions to be used).

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 08:34:45 AM »
I was intrigued with the video of the mounting showing that when the 3 corners are pressed, the buttons on the reverse are activated.

I'm getting an Ultragauge in the next couple months, and will use a backplate with a velcro square/rectangle in the middle as the connection point and a pivot point. The 3 buttons will get a little 'bump' glued to them, or on the backplate so when the 3 corners are pressed, the buttons will be activated. If the velcro is done well, this can be a very 'tight' installation. It also depends on how the buttons are activated, is it only contact when pressed, or an actual 'click' , as well as the amount of movement.

I'm looking to make an almost OEM installation into a 2009 Ford F150.

FWIW the buttons have a slight click to them when pressed. The movement to activate is just about 1/64".

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »
Got some news. The friend I showed the UG, bought it in march, and never used it. So I opened it today and and played with where it should go in my 2009 F150 Ford truck. My original idea is a left mounted dash pod ($40 plus paint it and glue to dash), but I may have found an easier/cheaper way. Also, I noticed, if I use a little piece of velcro in the middle, it seems I can push the front of the UG and activate the buttons on the back. This is because I have a flat surface to mount it to. It seems to work when I just lightly hold it against the dash, but with velcro may/may not work well.

I'm just feeling it out at this point where it will go.

Left is where it would be with a Dash Pod.
Right is a flat spot on dash. Not sure if there will be a clear visual without head movement.
Right as viewed head on
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:04:36 AM by Gunnarzf150 »

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 06:13:10 PM »
As an FYI should anyone get an UltraGauge and think of a dash pod mounting. I hope this will help you, and when I figure out a solution that looks good, doesn't bankrupt me, and will function, I'll post it. The key is to make it clean and be able to push the UG corners to activate the rear buttons.

See this post/pics:
http://www.f150forum.com/f38/edge-evolution-dash-pod-question-216841/#post2820185

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 09:56:17 PM »
As a brief follow up....I've been playing with several options and working with some limitations mounting the UG into a dash pod, but I'm making headway and about to final the installation. One thing I discovered is that there can be severe reflection from the screen of the UG since I'm mounting it on top of the dash...it catches a lot of light. I purchased a matte screen protector for a smartphone and will cut it to fit the UG glass screen. This should make it more readable at the odd times sunlight reflects from the surface.

Offline Gunnarzf150

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2014, 11:50:29 PM »
I finally did it. The gauge is mounted into a dash pod that's been modified with a backplane. By lightly touching the 3 corners, which depresses the buttons on the reverse side, you have full gauge functionality.
I'll get a daylight installed picture soon.