Author Topic: cutting the ug cable  (Read 21096 times)

Offline craigrrr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
cutting the ug cable
« on: April 29, 2012, 04:22:49 PM »
Can the ug cable be cut and a quick disconnect plug be used say installed close to the unit where you can take it out of the vehicle easier than unpluging it from the obdII connector under the dash.

has anyone tried this???

lildaddym

Re: cutting the ug cable
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 11:47:53 AM »
That would be tremendous...I've thought about that...and shortening the cord.

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
You could...but I'm sure it will void any warranty you have and Ultragauge may not choose to update it if you send it in that way.  :(

You could terminate the cable with some RJ-45 connectors like Scangauge did.  I haven't pinned out the Scangauge cable and cross-referenced it to the Ultragauge wiring yet.  I have pinned out the Ultragauge wiring though.  :D
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/3732003-post39.html

I would probably terminate it as close as you can to the Ultragauge vs by the ODBII connector.  You can disassemble the Ultragauge and unsolder the cable and solder in a female RJ-45 connector.  :D

lildaddym

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
You would have to cut some on the UG, right, to get an RJ-45 to fit...

Offline craigrrr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 05:14:40 PM »
No brave sould have done this yet...  I have had my scangauge for about 2 yrs now. 
What does this update do?  Mine is working fine  thanks

Offline bamzippow

• Jr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 12:51:41 PM »
No brave sould have done this yet...  I have had my scangauge for about 2 yrs now. 
What does this update do?  Mine is working fine  thanks

The update allows up to 7 pages of data now.  Pages can be configured separately from 4-6-8 items per page.  The same gauge can be installed on multiple pages instead of just the single page on yer version.

The EM default page 3 is an auto reset trip page...I use this to track trips.  You just have to remember to either take a picture of the gauge or write everything down that you want to keep before you turn off the engine.

The EM default page 2 is fer HP/torque values.  I don't use this one at all...fer now.  :D

I really like the update compared to the original version.  There is a projected update this summer fer transmission temps...not sure which vehicles will be supported though.  ;)

With my current UG mounting setup, I don't worry about removing it from my vehicle.  I just remove it from my custom magnetic mount and store it.  ;)

Offline wingerr

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »
It's nice that they listened to the user comments on the original version; the ability to use a gauge on multiple pages was one of the things we wanted, as well as the ability to show single trip data that automatically resets with each ignition cycle.
I'll probably go with the update based on those additions.

How does the HP and torque gauges work?  Are they calculated items based on entry of the maufacturer claimed peak values?

I may make a retrofit circuit for my old UG to automatically switch off the UG power based on the presence of switched power from the OBD-II port; I'm doing that manually now but it gets to be a hassle, and if I accidentally turn it off at the end of the trip before shutting down the engine, the accumulated data from that last trip is not written to flash and gets lost.

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 08:37:41 PM »
Good day UGers. Warranty issues aside I am seriously considering cutting the cord so to speak. I am not so much interested in a quick disconnect as I am in an easier fish through installation. That large OBDII connector just wont go where I want. What I'm thinking about doing is cutting the cord and soldering an 8 wire RJ-45 male connector to each of the cut ends. After I fish the cord through the smaller opening I have the two ends would be connected with an RJ-45 coupler and all would be hidden behind the dash.

So here's the question. If this is feasible would there be an ideal place to cut the UG cord or doesn't it matter? Would a coupler connection be a solid enough, electrically speaking, connection so that the gauge wouldn't misfunction?

TIA

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 09:30:34 AM »
Please do not cut the cord.  Instead,  crack open the case and unsolder the wires.   you can purchase a Self-Install Case replacement once you are done routing and resoldering the wires.

If you look at the sides of the case, you will notice 6 holes.  These holes mark the postion of the 6 snaps which hold the case together.  Insert a thin bladed straight screw at the parting line at the hole, and twist to break the snaps.

This is extreme, perhaps less extreme than cutting the cord, and I would encourage you to consider an alternate mounting location instead.

Offline MexiJeeper

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2013, 11:07:29 AM »
Admin,

What would be wrong with cutting the cord and soldering the pig tails of a donor 8 wire phone cord? I would be far more comfortable doing this than applying heat directly to the UG board. Besides desoldering and resoldering doesn't resolve my installation issue. Question is is there an ideal place to cut the UG cord or doesn't it really matter where?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 09:20:25 AM »
There is no ideal place to cut the cable.
Some of the wires in the cable have a matched differential impedance.  The phone cord will not match.