Author Topic: Horsepower value not accurate  (Read 11226 times)

Offline Cincy10SS

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Horsepower value not accurate
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:25:58 AM »
I installed my UltraGauge yesterday and did all the required setups.  It's working well and seems great.  I do have one concern though and that is that the displayed Horsepower 1 (HP1) value seems real low, usually in the 50-80 range and never more than about 120.  I did enter the max torque rating for my car (420 ft lbs), a very slightly modified 2010 Camaro SS stick.  With the small performance mods I've done it's probably making about 450 HP at the crank so that's why I'm super-questioning the displayed HP numbers.  Any thoughts?  Did I not do something setup-wise?   ???

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Horsepower value not accurate
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2012, 09:46:36 AM »
HP1 is derived from the "% Engine load" gauge.  Put "% Engine load" along side HP1.
Also, there was a bug in UltraGauge EM's, prior to version 5/8/12, that affected HP1.   Check your version date:
Menu --> UltraGauge Setup... --> version

FIX:  In order for the KW1/HP1 or TRQ1 gauge to function, the “%Engine Load” gauge must be placed in the next display position.  For example, If HP1 is at position 2, and TRQ1 is at position 3, then % Engine Load must be placed at position 4.  Also, TRQ1 and HP1 should be in adjacent positions, i.e., 1 & 2, or 2 & 3, or 3 & 4, etc.   (This only applies to versions prior to version 1.2.  This requirement was removed on version 1.2)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 11:07:23 AM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline Cincy10SS

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 10:33:47 AM »
I have absolutely set the gauge up correctly, precisely the way you and the manual describe it needs to be but the HP value displayed just seems really low.  Even under heavy acceleration about the most I see flashed on the display is about 250 (usually way less) or so and for a Camaro SS making about 450 at the crank and maybe 350 at the wheels this seems low.  I know the car is making the power; I've run 12.8 @ 110 mph in the 1/4. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 10:53:43 AM by Cincy10SS »

Offline rtmerck

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »
You do know that this gauge physically can not accurately measure horsepower and torque. It is physically impossible for it to do so the only way you'll ever know is if you put your car on a chassis dyno or rip your engine out and put it on a engine dyno. This is not a bash on UG in anyway its just a fact. UG is literally made to read sensors period.

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

UG provides two means to estimate the HP and Torque.  One uses the manufactures % Engine Load.  This gauge is only as good as the equation or empirical data table created by the manufacturer.
The second method is independent of the manufacturer and is based on Energy into the engine modified by engine efficiency.

Both must be configured.  Use which ever seems to provide the most reasonable results.

Offline Timpanogos Slim

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
You do know that this gauge physically can not accurately measure horsepower and torque. It is physically impossible for it to do so the only way you'll ever know is if you put your car on a chassis dyno or rip your engine out and put it on a engine dyno. This is not a bash on UG in anyway its just a fact. UG is literally made to read sensors period.

There is that, plus, how many horses you can make at WOT in 3rd gear on a dyno and how many horses you are using in daily driving are two completely different numbers.

That and "should be" hp and torque numbers mean nothing without dyno graphs to back them up for the actual car in the actual configuration it's in (and at that ambient temperature and altitude).