Author Topic: Classic to EM pre-1.2 Upgrade worthwhile?  (Read 10213 times)

Offline Tiger-Heli

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Classic to EM pre-1.2 Upgrade worthwhile?
« on: June 20, 2013, 11:50:53 AM »
Hopefully, this won't be considered a support post ...

I have an UG Classic and it's been great, and I drive a 2002 Focus and plan to keep it for a few more years.

If I trade it, the most likely replacements would be a new Kia Rio or 2014 Ford Fiesta.

I foolishly opened the UG case, and of course, the little clips broke off, so it is not staying together.

As I understand it, I can buy a replacement case for $5.95 (great option), or I can send the UG back for $12 plus shipping and get it updated to EM pre-1.2 configuration.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/customer_support/knowledgebase.php?article=16

The 2012 Ford Focus doesn't work with pre-1.2 and the Classic can't be upgraded to 1.2.

Now the questions:

Does anyone know if the 2013-2014 Fiesta has the same issues as the 2012 Focus?  (If so, I would have to buy the 1.2 version anyway, and there isn't much point upgrading).  (If it does have the same issue - could I tell b/c the UG stays on after the car is turned off, or is the only symptom the battery dying and the car not starting?)

If it does, and I get the Fiesta, the upgrade is useless to me.

If it doesn't - would the upgrade gain me anything on the 2002 Focus, 2013 Rio, or 2013-2014 Fiesta?  (I could care less about metric readings and mostly just want Outside Air Temp and Engine temp in the Rio and Engine Temp in the Fiesta and Focus?

Thanks in advance!!!

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Classic to EM pre-1.2 Upgrade worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 11:44:24 AM »
It is unknown if the 2013+ Fiesta has the same issue, but I would bet it does. 
Since V1.2 has been out since mid 2012, no 2013 owners would have purchased the older units.  So there is no data to know for sure.
Go for v1.2 and avoid any potential issue

Offline Tiger-Heli

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:59:43 AM »
Makes sense, thanks!!!

(If it does have the same issue - could I tell b/c the UG stays on after the car is turned off, or is the only symptom the battery dying and the car not starting?)

If it doesn't - would the upgrade gain me anything on the 2002 Focus, 2013 Rio, or 2013-2014 Fiesta?  (I could care less about metric readings and mostly just want Outside Air Temp and Engine temp in the Rio and Engine Temp in the Fiesta and Focus?

Could you also answer the above questions?

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 07:39:30 AM »
An upgrade from the Classic to the EM adds a good many features and is very worthwhile.
However, as it would not resolve the 2012+ Ford Battery drain issue, it would seem irrelevant.
Thanks to Ford's new "always on" electrical system, only the UG v1.2 is compatible with the 2012+ Ford.

Offline Tiger-Heli

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:58:47 AM »
Grrrrr - getting answers, but not QUITE getting the answers I am looking for.  Let me try to re-word the questions:

On the 2012+ Ford, with the non v1.2 UG, aside from the battery dying, what happens?  (i.e. does the UG stay on and illuminated, or is the only symptom that the car doesn't start after a few days?)

I might not go with a 2012+ Ford, I plan to keep my 2002 Ford Focus a while longer, and might go with a Kia Rio or Kia Forte when it comes time to trade.  What does the EM get me in this situation (aside from metric readings that I don't care about).

I realize if I am spending $16-20K on a new car, it's probably time to spend $60 on another UG, but the bigger question is does it make any sense to spend $10 on the Classic to EM upgrade with the 2002 Focus (I assume if I am happy with it now, probably not), the one thing I would mainly be interested in would be if the EM provided Ambient Air Temp for the 2002 Focus.

Thanks again!!!

Offline UltraGauge Admin

• Administrator
  • Sr. Member Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:11:23 AM »
UG does not stay on.  The battery is dead the next day:
2012+ Ford Drain

See this page for EM upgrade details and features:
EM upgrade

Regarding supported gauges:
Supported and Available Gauges

Do not use a non pre mid-2012 version  in a 2012+ Ford.  If you plan to use it in another vehicle, then the EM upgrade is highly recommend
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 07:24:19 AM by UltraGauge Admin »

Offline Tiger-Heli

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 08:29:52 AM »
Thank you - I had seen the knowledgebase article on the Fords, but it didn't state whether or not the UG itself stayed on or not as an indication that this was happening.  I'll buy a replacement if I go with the Fiesta.

Actually, from the second chart, the only thing other than metric gauges that the EM seems to provide is Torque, Boost Pressure, Brake horsepower, and runtime.  (It does provide a HUGE improvement in functionality with 8 pages of gauges vs. 3 and 4, 6, or 8 gauges per page vs. 6, but personally, I just have the 6 gauges I am most interested in on the main page and leave it that way).

And I should have checked beforehand, but the Classic supports Outside Ambient Temp (F) but it doesn't work in the 2002 Focus, so I don't think the EM will add this.

Again, much thanks for the assistance!!!