Author Topic: Mounting using Rare Earth Magnets  (Read 8756 times)

Offline Drew

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Mounting using Rare Earth Magnets
« on: May 22, 2014, 06:21:48 AM »
Hi Folks,

has anyone tried mounting their UltraGauge to the dash using a pair of rare earth magnets, with one under the panel, and another glued to the back of the gauge holder?

Seems to me that it would be quite elegant - there's nothing under the dash that a magnet would impact that I can see, how about the Ultra Gauge?

Offline deejaaa

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting using Rare Earth Magnets
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
unless you drive a car from the 50's with a steel dash, I don't see how it will attach itself to a plastic padded dash.
use some thick copper wire, solder two pieces, with a spreader/spacer in-between, together. bend to create a cradle and hooks at the top to go into a vent. I covered most of the wire with shrink tubing. have access to all buttons, lightweight and best of all was free.

Offline lazurm

• Newbie Gearhead
    • View Profile
Re: Mounting using Rare Earth Magnets
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2019, 09:33:40 PM »
The magnets will work on plastic because their fields extend beyond the physical boundary of the plastic impediment and attract to each other, magnets on the inside through the plastic to the magnets on the outside. The trouble comes when something causes the Ultragauge to disconnect, resulting in the inside magnets falling. As a result, the inside magnets should also be glued to the surface that they are supposed to attach to.